Linux disk editor

Post there if an important software is missing and has to be added

Linux disk editor

Postby Guest » 28 Nov 2003, 00:32

Hello.
Firstly, thank you for your efforts in creating such a useful collection in a package that works so well. I love it and think it's a great system rescue tool.
Will you please consider including the Linux Disk Editor (http://lde.sourceforge.net/) in the next release of SystemRescue CD. I use it for recovering 'lost' partitions that parted won't even look at (yes I use 1.6.6 from your 0.2.8 CD). I use the statically linked lde-i386, as downloaded directly from SourceForge, and run it from a floppy after booting from your SystemRescue CD.

Incidentally, to really mess up a disk's partitions, just create them with parted, then load Partition Magic and let it 'fix' the 'misalignment' errors it finds, then watch as neither Partition Magic, nor parted will look at the disk again. It doesn't always happen, but sometimes yes. One way to avoid this is if only one person with one set of tools works on a system. Not always possible unfortunately.
To fix this, I use gpart to give me a list of 'possible' partition locations, use linux disk editor to view the contents of the partition tables, and a calculator to determine the 'actual' table locations, then linux disk editor again to edit the tables so they work. Tedious, but such a relief (especially for the owner) when it all works again.
I used to boot a DOS floppy and use Norton Disk Editor, but I much prefer to stay within Linux and use Linux tools. :-)

Thank you for your consideration.
Andrew

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 28 Nov 2003, 10:40

I already had a look at LDE. It did not compile. I will test again, and if that does not work, I will get the static binary.

Andrew

Postby Andrew » 30 Nov 2003, 23:52

Hello fdupoux,
Thank you for considering the addition of LDE, and once agian, thanks for your efforts to produce such a useful 'mini-distro' and collection of tools.
I look forward to the next release.

Kind Regards,
Andrew

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 01 Dec 2003, 09:11

LDE was added to version 0.2.9_pre1 you can download now:
http://www.sysresccd.org/beta.en.php

Andrew

Postby Andrew » 03 Dec 2003, 00:00

Hello fdupoux,

Thank you for adding LDE to the SystemRescue CD. For my use SystemRescue CD now makes a complete rescue toolset, all on one CD. :D

I'll download it and give it a test.

Kind Regards,
Andrew

ncik

Postby ncik » 12 Jul 2007, 20:40

fdupoux wrote:LDE was added to version 0.2.9_pre1 you can download now:
http://www.sysresccd.org/beta.en.php

Hello,

Sorry to resurrect such an old topic, but I was wondering if LDE will be included in future releases of the 0.3.x version?

Thank you!

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 12 Jul 2007, 20:50

Since may have changed since 2003, it seems it compiles now.

mbrinson

Re: Linux disk editor

Postby mbrinson » 01 Nov 2012, 23:59

I know this is way old, but I was excited to see that LDE (Linux Disk Editor) was part of sysrescuecd, but I'm trying to find it in the newest release and I'm unable.

Just trying to run "lde" from the command line yields "command not found: lde"

Was this removed from the distro for some reason?

Return to “Software request”