Install sysresccd on external HD

Post there if you plan to contribute to this SystemCd
bartsim

Install sysresccd on external HD

Postby bartsim » 28 May 2010, 21:23

Hello.

I've just installed Sysresccd 1.5.4 on my external HD formatted with ext3. For this purpose I used a modified version of the sysresccd-usbstick script. Are you interested in my modified version, I could provide patches? Or maybe I should create a similar script for setup on external HDs? Please let me know, I suppose I'm not the only one interested in this kind of setup.

bartsim

eomanis

Re: Install sysresccd on external HD

Postby eomanis » 31 May 2010, 22:07

To install SystemRescueCd on a device of your choice (USB thumb drive with FAT/FAT32, external hard disk with ext3...), you have to copy the files from the SystemRescueCd mount point (/livemnt/boot as of version 1.5.3) to the root of the file system in the primary "boot" partition on the target device, rename the "isolinux" folder to "syslinux" and the file "isolinux.cfg" inside it to "syslinux.cfg" and run the syslinux command on this partition.
It then should be possible to boot from this device if one selects it as boot device in a computer's BIOS.

Now, I am pretty sure that the sysresccd-usbstick script does exactly this - among other things - when it installs SystemRescueCd to a USB thumb drive.

If the admin could hive off the procedure described above into a separate shell script and this shell script would be called by "sysresccd-usbstick" when needed, one could use this separate script part to install SystemRescueCd anywhere he pleases.
Crying for features is easy, I know ;-) ... I think I'll have a look at "sysresccd-usbstick" and try to extract the part in question myself tomorrow or at least during this week.

By the way, I would really like to http://flattr.com/ the admin for providing us with this awesome, small yet incredibly powerful linux distribution. Go get a flattr button :-)

[edit]
In the "news" section I've just read that the USB drive installation procedures have been enhanced with version 1.5.5. Maybe this feature request has become obsolete just while I was writing it :-D

bartsim

Postby bartsim » 01 Jun 2010, 07:12

Actually, it's not that easy. My idea was to use ext3 (since I was using a hard drive, not a stick, a journaled FS should be OK) but to have a choice to use ext2. There is still a need to set up an MBR entry (the script does this) and syslinux can not boot from ext2/3 partitions, you have to use extlinux.
The script also does various checks if a drive that is used is actually a removable drive or not. But in the case that VirtualBox or any other virtualization is used, any hard drive will be detected as built-in.
I'll post my changed script later this week, we'll see if someone is interested in this.

locutus

Postby locutus » 21 Feb 2011, 16:15

I know it's been more than a few months, but I'm interested in the script created to install SystemRescueCD on an external HDD.

Thanks!

vmark

Postby vmark » 10 Jan 2017, 21:46

Seems necroing, but
- there is no other posts regarding this,
- I have exactly the same idea
- new usb_inst.sh became so intelligent and refuse to copy SystemRescueCD image to an external hard drive.

Anyway we can do manually (not a problem for me).

My problem (external USB 3.0 1T drive) that SystemRescueCD cannot see the external drive after syslinux boot.
Starts booting, I can choose options from menu etc.
System recognizes SuperSpeed device, but after keyboard selection system does not find the appropriate partition.
Checked and I cannot see this drive in /dev/disk/by-uuid or any other place...

I started to be sad that somehow USB 3.0 is not supported, however if I boot from pendrive and plug the same external hard disk everything is perfect!
I tried to install a newer syslinux (which I have on my laptop - Ubuntu 15.10), but with this new version even the boot process stops.

...then realized that initram.igz does not support USB3.0 and this is why I stuck - system cannot see my drive in one point during boot process.
Inserting the uas.ko kernel module helped me.
Now everything works.

Return to “Contributions”