yodashotfirst

ClamAV Dropped @ version 4.2.0 - 2014-04-15

Postby yodashotfirst » 11 Sep 2014, 16:06

RE: Next Stable Release: Please update clamav to newest+
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5393

I just noticed:

4.2.0) 2014-04-15:
Dropped ClamAV to save 74MB in the ISO image

Could you please bring ClamAV back? It's one of the main reasons I use sysresccd.

If not, what other Linux LiveCD contains functional and recent AV Software? TIA

clamavrestoration

Re: ClamAV Dropped @ version 4.2.0 - 2014-04-15

Postby clamavrestoration » 13 Jul 2015, 23:30

it is a vital tool which should be restored but the admin doesn't respond to these questions.

Ruler

Postby Ruler » 13 Sep 2016, 15:24

What the heck?!?? I use the system rescue cd at least once a day average, but usually don't upgrade unless there's something missing. I've been using my 4.0 disks for the past 2-3 years (which I was shocked to discover it's been that long... time truly does fly) and they finally gave up - 2 out of the 6 won't read anymore. Downloaded the latest version, burnt a new set of 6 disks, and booted a system from it. WTF - no clam!????!?????!? I dig into the change log and find that it's been dropped to 'save space'.

Seriously - who gives a rip about space these days, especially a measly 74 meg, particularly when the image would easily fit on a CD with it??? I'm downloading 4.1 now as clam probably comprises 20% of what I use the system rescue cd for. Complete waste of time and CDs on the new version as they're pretty much useless - the CDs are already in the trash. :( The lack of response by the admins on this is shameful. At least give a semi-reasonable explanation instead of 'to save 74MB in the ISO image' and instructions on how to add it back for those willing to fart around with it every boot...

I hate to even ask this as I've used system rescue CD since the pre-1.0 days (actually think I have a 0.2 buried somewhere at home!), but does anybody know of any good, viable alternatives? Not including vital software is bad enough, but not even responding to people asking to get it back is worse. :(

Ruler

Postby Ruler » 13 Sep 2016, 15:37

Just realized that partimage & fsarchiver (both of which are critical to me) are specific to this distro. Looks like I'm either stuck on 4.1 (until the admin comes to his senses ;) ) or have to figure out how to modify the ISO to add clam back in.

If I go the latter route, I'll release it somewhere so others may download it if they wish. Realistically, I'll probably just stick with 4.1. It makes me sad that such an awesome project has been crippled like this. :(

Return to “System software”