taking screenshots in systemrescue cd

Topics about the system utilities that are not related to Hard-disk and storage
kromcuich

taking screenshots in systemrescue cd

Postby kromcuich » 19 Nov 2007, 04:40

I am writing a manual for some non technical people about restoring their system using the sysrescue cd and I would really appreciate to know if it is possible to take screenshots from the livecd.

I have tried to 'fake it' by booting in a virtual machine. but I cant get all the screens I need there (for instance, when it has to do with actual partition names and sizes). Does anyone know how to do this?

thanks

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 19 Nov 2007, 08:38

Gimp provides an option to take screenshots of your screen and it works for both linux and windows. That way you can take screenshots

kromcuich

Postby kromcuich » 19 Nov 2007, 13:43

fdupoux wrote:Gimp provides an option to take screenshots of your screen and it works for both linux and windows. That way you can take screenshots

But I am asking how I can take screenshots when booting from the systemrescue cd, in the X interface. do i need to download and install gimp into RAM?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 19 Nov 2007, 14:29

I mean your install GIMP on the machine that is running VMWare, not inside the virtual machine.

kromcuich

Postby kromcuich » 19 Nov 2007, 17:18

fdupoux wrote:I mean your install GIMP on the machine that is running VMWare, not inside the virtual machine.

i can take screengrabs in vmware, no problem. unfortunately though, i dont have the same disc partitions (and sizes) in my virtual machine, as i do on the laptop i am writing a manual on (in vmware, all disks are virtual)

maybe i could download a package, once booted into sysrescue cd that will allow me to take screen snapshots?

arand

Postby arand » 19 Nov 2007, 18:19

Isn't It possible in vmware to make a mirror copy of a computer, so you'll have the same names and sizes and everything, or do you still end up with a non-perfect clone?

I don't think there is an easy solution to this...

Dunno If it would be possible to hook up you laptop to another computer, able to capture the 'video' output of it.
___

Something that allowed you to take screenshots, especially during the boot process, would be a great addition to SRCD when it comes to troubleshooting/support, actually.

- Arand

arand

Postby arand » 19 Nov 2007, 18:59

I found a list of different screengrab-software here: http://tejasconsulting.com/open-testwar ... urvey.html

something there might work...

and isn't there a standard linux 'import' command that should be able to do this in XOrg?

- Arand

tevoy

Postby tevoy » 29 Jan 2008, 01:35

I likewise have a requirement to capture screen shots for a user manual. So what I got working so far is xwd.

xwd is a x window screen dump. It grabs the screen or active window and creates a non standard picture file. Here's how I captured a screen shot of GParted showing my partition setup.

lauch SystemRescueCd
startx
launch GParted and allow it to finish showing your partition layout,
launch a console, note the directory it is pointing to (default /root)
xwd -out screenshot.xwd
you will get a cross hair cursor - click on the window you want to capture ie GParted
you will hear a system bell at the beginning and the ending of the capture.
you should now have a file; check from the console with ls

mount an external physical location to copy your screen shot to. I used the host computer
mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/windows
lauch mc or cp your file to the non volitle storage
umount the storage

shut down SsytemRescueCD
boot into your host OS
launch TheGimp
find your file you transferred bringing into the editor
use 'Save As' to convert it from xwd to jpg or another more useable format.

xwd -help
will show the options

I know the post is a little late but I just started playing with SystemRescueCd this week.
Hope this helps. It is just one way of getting some screen shots with SystemRescueCD

virtuemart1

Re: taking screenshots in systemrescue cd

Postby virtuemart1 » 28 Jan 2013, 09:07

xwd is a x window screen dump. It grabs the screen or active window and creates a non standard picture file.

Code: Select all

xwd -out screenshot.xwd

So xwd command was available in the CD ?

nickalreadytaken

Re: taking screenshots in systemrescue cd

Postby nickalreadytaken » 29 Jan 2013, 06:46

It is.

Code: Select all

[email protected] /root % which xwd
/usr/bin/xwd

Return to “System software”