Cannot access windows NTFS volume from sysrescd

Topics about disk partitioning (fdisk, parted, gparted, partimage), Volumes Management (lvm, evms, dmraid), Storage, file systems, ...
pthree02

Cannot access windows NTFS volume from sysrescd

Postby pthree02 » 20 Feb 2016, 19:25

When attempting to get to the windows files I must modify to recover from a forgotten master password, I get the message that the volume cannot be mounted because it is already in use. It is a windows 10 system and I am running the sysresccd from a USB drive.

I'm guessing this indicates windows is somehow till running somewhat in the background, even though I have booted from the USB and straight into sysresccd.

This is the code that generates the error: ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows

I have also tried getting to these files by booting from Ubuntu on a USB. In that case, I can get to the files using Nautilis, but they are locked.

Any help appreciated. Computer belongs to a friend with security obsessions and a bad memory!

gernot

Re: Cannot access windows NTFS volume from sysrescd

Postby gernot » 20 Feb 2016, 19:44

I never rescued data from w10.
What is the exact error message? Check also dmesg

Make sure that /mnt/windows exist.
Try also mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows -o ro

If the filesystem had a unclean shutdown run chkdsk from a windows Install-CD
Is it possible that the filesystem is corrupted?

I don't know if ntpasswd work with w10

Gernot
p.s. you cant mount a encrypted partition.

pthree02

Postby pthree02 » 20 Feb 2016, 20:56

The command line from /root is: ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows -o force

Error msg in response is: Mount is denied because the NTFS volume is already exclusively opened.

I tried your suggestions to no avail, but thanks.

File system is not corrupted and not encrypted, and shutdown was OK. If I had a windows install disk, this would probably be much easier, but I do not.

The problem is not data recovery, it is system access. The owner changed the master password in Windows, then she shut down and promptly forgot the new password she had assigned. I cannot get past the login screen, so I am trying to get into the system and add a new user and password to give me system access.

Somehow, even though the boot is from a Linux USB, I cannot get to the system32/config file.

Suggestions are appreciated though!

gernot

Postby gernot » 20 Feb 2016, 21:19

Sorry, no Idea.
There are some descriptions in the net, but you need the CD. Download it from MS.

Gernot

vanepp

Postby vanepp » 22 Feb 2016, 02:54

Try doing a df and see where /dev/sda1 is mounted (because it does appear to be mounted somewhere!). It may also be reasonable to do a gparted
(you would need to start X via startx if it isn't already) and see which device linux thinks the windows partition is, as it may not be /dev/sda1 in fact on Win10
probably isn't, as the first partition is usually the boot partition not windows. It may be that /dev/sda1 is your rescuecd partition not windows (which if you
didn't use docache will certainly be opened exclusively and not remountable). If you aren't familiar with gparted, the pull down menu in the upper right corner
will change which drive is being displayed as Windows may not be on the first drive (that may be the usb key you are booted from). The gparted display will
give you disk sizes so you should be able to pick out the likely windows drive.

Peter Van Epp

Return to “Hard-disk partitioning and storage”