Recovery of Linux partitions and MBR

Topics about disk partitioning (fdisk, parted, gparted, partimage), Volumes Management (lvm, evms, dmraid), Storage, file systems, ...
B727

Recovery of Linux partitions and MBR

Postby B727 » 18 Nov 2015, 21:13

I have a Dell laptop with Kubuntu 14.04 LTS. I went to install BSD to a new unformatted partition that was blank, but I forgot to format it first. The BSD install started to take over the whole hard drive, so I aborted the install. When I did, I believe it destroyed the MBR but the Linux partitions and data are still there. I tried to restart and get 1234F no OS. I previously backed up my install using sbackup onto a Passbook USB drive. I used the sysrescuecd and was only able to get the previous install to work using partimage and without networking. I tried other programs on the cd but none worked. I do not know how to restore what partimage presented, which only ran off of the rescue cd. Do I have to mount something or do I have to make a new Linux install and use the Passbook to backup? I know enough to make me dangerous, but given the steps I am confident I can get it back up and running. I cannot find a clear answer as to how to recover from my error using the rescue cd. Thanks.

gernot

Re: Recovery of Linux partitions and MBR

Postby gernot » 19 Nov 2015, 07:16

Try to boot your linux system and run "grub-install /dev/sda" if sda is the system drive.

Use supergrubdisk to boot the unbootable system. supergrubdisk is a Floppyimage on systemrescuecd.
You can boot supergrubdisk via the srcd bootmenue.

There are also other ways like chroot, but this is the quickest.

Gernot

Return to “Hard-disk partitioning and storage”