Gnu ddrescue update request

Topics about disk partitioning (fdisk, parted, gparted, partimage), Volumes Management (lvm, evms, dmraid), Storage, file systems, ...
markmarques

Gnu ddrescue update request

Postby markmarques » 05 Nov 2014, 11:39

Hi,
I do not know if this is the right place to make such request but I havenoticed that the latest SysRescueCD version only has the GNU ddrescue 1.16 ....

Would it be possible to update it to the latest 1.19 version in the next release ?

nickalreadytaken

Re: Gnu ddrescue update request

Postby nickalreadytaken » 27 Jun 2015, 06:45

At least version 18.1 of ddrescue is included in the latest version.

keb

Re: Gnu ddrescue update request

Postby keb » 11 Mar 2016, 06:02

Version 1.19 was released in october 2014.
It appears quite stable and has an improved algorithm: the author notes that "Splitting proved to be slow and produced a lot of head movement, so in 1.19 it was replaced with a linear "scraping" phase. --no-scrape replaced --no-split."

I would not yet suggest adding version 1.20, released in september 2015, because it omits a lot of output that helped users see what was going on; version 1.21-pre1 was released shortly afterwards to put that back in. However there are a number of other changes to the user interface and features that may need more testing. When 1.21 final does get released, it will be worthwhile as there are some bug fixes and command line changes to make it harder to screw up when using it.

Return to “Hard-disk partitioning and storage”