Feed-back about new 0.3-beta version

You can report problems, make suggestions, about the new BETA versions in this forum. For stuff related to final releases, please post a message in other forums
Szpak

Feed-back about new 0.3-beta version

Post by Szpak » 10 Dec 2006, 13:24

fdupoux wrote: * Updated the file-system tools (parted, e2fsprogs, xfsprogs, ...)
Regarding to the packages list there is still an old version 2.7.11 of xfsprogs. Current version is 2.8.16. As I mentioned in my post, there is a need for a newer version.

Btw, is there a simply way using "personalize SRCd mechanism" to add gcc and other tools and libraries required for compile needed software to later add it to one's own personalized SRCd?

Marcin

LarryT

Post by LarryT » 10 Dec 2006, 13:48

firefox takes about 4 minutes to open, after launched. (512 mo ram)
I wonder if it would be better to use something smaller ??? than firefox, since we are only on live memory ???

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 10 Dec 2006, 15:02

Hi,

Thanks for your reports.
1) I took the xfsprogs that is marked stable in the gentoo packages. In my recent sysresccd builds the version is 2.8.11. This version has been marked as stable after beta1, but you will have version 2.8.11 in beta2.
2) indeed, gparted shows a lot of devices. Do you know a way to remove inexistant devices ?
3) I am surprised it is so slow to start firefox. On my computer, it starts in 10 seconds and that's only an AMD Sempron 3100+. You can still use links / lynx. I installed firefox because it does not use a lot of disk space. I know no other small graphical web browser that does not require a lot of libraries (konqueror would be interesting, but it requires kdelibs).
4) customizing: maybe the best thing to do is to create binary packages from an installed gentoo system, and install these binaries packages when you use sysresccd-custom script. But I did not test it. If you want to personnalize, what is the reason: are there important packages missing or is it only for you own use ?
5) I know gparted-0.3.3 is out, it's already updated in my recent build.

PS: I just discovered dillo. It seems it's a small browser that could replace firefox and that does not require Gnome libraries. I will try it.

Szpak

Post by Szpak » 10 Dec 2006, 16:21

fdupoux wrote:1) I took the xfsprogs that is marked stable in the gentoo packages. In my recent sysresccd builds the version is 2.8.11. This version has been marked as stable after beta1, but you will have version 2.8.11 in beta2.
2.8.11 will be ok.
4) customizing: maybe the best thing to do is to create binary packages from an installed gentoo system, and install these binaries packages when you use sysresccd-custom script. But I did not test it. If you want to personnalize, what is the reason: are there important packages missing or is it only for you own use ?
Described situation with too old xfsprogs package is a good example. I wasn't able to repair my file system and if you wouldn't release a new version a stalemate could still last.
On the other hand SRCd has many (most) useful tools and you try to keep it up-to-date. I know that the best solution would be use of "normal" Gentoo system, but unfortunately not everyone uses it ;) . I don't know Gentoo and it (developers tools) was only a suggestion in case it would be able to achieve that with reasonable effort.

LarryT

Post by LarryT » 10 Dec 2006, 17:03

fdupoux wrote:Hi,

2) indeed, gparted shows a lot of devices. Do you know a way to remove inexistant devices ?
I gonna see this with the GParted dev, Plors.
3) I am surprised it is so slow to start firefox. On my computer, it starts in 10 seconds and that's only an AMD Sempron 3100+. You can still use links / lynx.
Well like i saifd above, i am working with VMware... I gonna try with real machine :-p...
5) I know gparted-0.3.3 is out, it's already updated in my recent build.
Ok, those days we are updating some often.
PS: I just discovered dillo.
This is the name io was looking for :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 11 Dec 2006, 14:37

Hi,

Beta2 is released with GParted-0.3.3n new xfsprogs, and dillo web browser. But I left Firefox on the disc because websites have a better rendering with Firefox. More details in this page: http://www.sysresccd.org/Beta

Szpak

Post by Szpak » 11 Dec 2006, 20:25

fdupoux wrote:Beta2 is released with GParted-0.3.3n new xfsprogs, and dillo web browser.
Great, I will check it tomorrow.

Browsing available packages I've found that there are also a few network tools (like nmap or tcpdump). I think ngrep (a small tool offering many grep features over the network) would match that collection.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 11 Dec 2006, 20:30

Ok, I will have a look at this package. It is supported by gentoo:
http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=ngrep

LarryT

Post by LarryT » 11 Dec 2006, 20:53

-Got the same problem with gparted, using VMware or Qemu.
Burning iso to cdrom retruns exactly the same. I guess this may come from livecd architecture or something. We have not this kind of problem with our GParted livecd. Plors (the livecd dev) usually use gentoo (afaik), so he maybe could give some help to fixe this. I will tell him asap.

-This time firefox opens very fast. With Dillo i hade problem, since i am using proxy : it doesnt work with dillo / configuration deosnt allow any outgoing.

-Got some problem to use ntfs-3g ! Here is the output :
21:45 [email protected] /root # ntfs-3g /dev/hdb5 /mnt/windows
FATAL: Module fuse not found.
fusermount: fuse device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first
Failed to create FUSE mount point.
Retry to create FUSE mount point ...
FATAL: Module fuse not found.
fusermount: fuse device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first
Failed to create FUSE mount point.
Unmounting /dev/hdb5 (programms)
21:46 [email protected] /root #
that all atm ... ;)

Szpak

Post by Szpak » 11 Dec 2006, 21:37

Hello again,

Regarding to fuse (which is available on the package list) and useful software, there are two interesting projects.

sshfs (sshfs-fuse) which allow you to mount partition over ssh and use it as a (almost) normal, mounted device (very useful when space is short on a local machine or want to use backuped data from an another machine).
http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html

fusesmb (I make its RPM packages for Fedora) gives similar functionality, but over smb and allow to "mount" whole smb network and access to specified hosts and directories.
http://www.ricardis.tudelft.nl/~vincent/fusesmb/

Both are supported in Gentoo (but fusesmb in quite old version).

Marcin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 12 Dec 2006, 15:55

Beta3 is released, and it fixes the bug related to missing kernel modules that makes fuse not working, reported by LarryT. It also fixes the customization script bug reported by aibo (http://www.sysresccd.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1294). It also adds ngrep, and improve minor stuff.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Beta

Szpak

Post by Szpak » 13 Dec 2006, 07:40

Hi again,

I tested beta3 on my Athlon with GeForce 2 Ti and laptop AmiloPro with Intel Express 915 and both worked with the X-server.
As it was pointed earlier there could be less devices in gparted and in addition primary hard disc should be set by default.
Another think (probably to gparted team), but I think that ext3 instead of ext2 should be proposed as a default filesystem for a new partition.

I was able to use sshfs after manual loading fuse module.

Btw, what is the difference between normal framebuffer mode and intel810 framebuffer? Another driver is used?
And there is missing fb1024 mode for i810, when most laptops nowadays have default resolution 1024x768.

Marcin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 13 Dec 2006, 09:41

Hi,

Normal framebuffer is for all devices that supports the standard VESA Framebuffer. But intel did chipsets that does not supports VESA, then we need to use a separate driver for i1810 chipsets.

I will try to add 1024x768 for intel too, but I am not sure I can print everything in the F2 screen. Anyway, I will add the support for 1024x768 even if I can't show the instructions about it.

arnova

X server / AGPgart problem

Post by arnova » 13 Dec 2006, 14:03

I've tried the new version 3 beta release here but unfortunately I can't make it work. Right after probing my videokaart / AGPgart the system freezes, and that's it. I also haven't been able to find a (boot) option to disable X/video support, did I miss it? If not, could this please also be implemented, so on can also use at in the version 2 way (just text mode).

Anyway the system I having the AGPgart issue with has the following specs:
- AMD XP1800+
- MSI KT4V with KT400 chipset
- ATI Radeon 8500

Thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 13 Dec 2006, 18:48

arnova, could you test the new ISO (20061213-18h29.iso) ? I send you the URL by personal message. With this new version, you can add option "noxdetect":
Example: fb1024 noxdetect
It will disable the autoconfiguration of X.org