No graphical environment in Hyper-V

All other questions
base0

No graphical environment in Hyper-V

Postby base0 » 16 Nov 2017, 22:41

I cannot get startx to run when I have booted "systemrescuecd-x8605.1.2.iso" as an image file on a virtual CD/DVD in a virtual machine with Hyper-V role running on Windows Server 2012 R2, although the nongraphical environment runs in the VM. The graphical environment runs fine when I burn the system to a flash drive and boot it from USB on a standalone machine, but not with a VM in Hyper-V. Here is what I see when I try doing so:

I want to mention that I am able to get other Linux ISO images to boot with graphical environments after configuring them to boot in the same was as I tried with the SystemRescueCD image. For instance, this runs graphics just fine: "gparted-live-0.30.0-1-amd64.iso". So, any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

gernot

Re: No graphical environment in Hyper-V

Postby gernot » 18 Nov 2017, 08:50

tried you to start X with wizard ?

Gernot

base0

Postby base0 » 18 Nov 2017, 21:47

Gernot, hello.

If I am not mistaken, by "wizard" you mean the initial display listing of several menu options for booting. I used it too, trying all of these options that seemed reasonable in this case. For example, I tried the one for booting "directly into a graphical environment." Even so, no graphical environment appeared. Otherwise, is there a different wizard?

I am not in a critical jam with an urgent need at this point, but I would like to figure out whether it will work somehow, if at all possible. Any advice would be welcome, and feel free to ask me for additional information by any means. Thanks.

gernot

Postby gernot » 19 Nov 2017, 16:47

Just boot to the default textmode or boot framebuffer at the boot menu.
Enter then wizard at the shell prompt.

Gernot

base0

Postby base0 » 05 Dec 2017, 16:30

Gernot,

As the screenshot shows, I did boot to the default text mode first and to the framebuffer mode. Then at the prompt I typed startx, but the same problem occurred. Otherwise, I am not understanding what you mean exactly by this statement: "Enter then wizard at the shell prompt." Please explain the steps precisely. What wizard and how? Thanks.

gernot

Postby gernot » 06 Dec 2017, 17:56

Type wizard and press enter where you typed startx.

wizard is a wrapper for startx

Gernot

Return to “Other”