writing a dvd+rw

All other development questions
reccerib

writing a dvd+rw

Postby reccerib » 25 Jul 2007, 23:16

hello,
I'd like to copy a partimage file from a hard disk (ext3 file system) to a dvd+rw (without the SystemRescueCd as described in the documentation). I don't find any help on the rescuecd documentation. Is there a graphic program on the rescuecd ?
thanks a lot for your help.
have a good day.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 26 Jul 2007, 21:12

The is no graphical program, you have to use the dvd+rw-tools / cdrecord command line tools, or mount by following this tutorial (that's really easy):
http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manu ... ounting_it

reccerib

Postby reccerib » 26 Jul 2007, 22:58

hello, thank you for your msg.
I saw the "mount" way in the rescuecd doc but i'd like to avoid it because writing is made directly to the dvd writer and it seems slow !
I will use the command line method but it is not very comfortable for me :shock: Could you give me all commands needed to format the dvd, to initiate the file system (udf ??), to write the partimage file (filename.000 on ext3 file system) on the dvd and to suspend the session (ie possibility to add files later on the same dvd).
That will be very kindly from you. In any case thanks a lot for your help.

reccerib

Writing a dvd with RescuedCd by mounting it

Postby reccerib » 28 Jul 2007, 22:53

hello,
So i just tried as you proposed in your last msg "Burning_a_DVD_RW_from_SystemRescueCd_by_mounting_it"

First step: dvd formatting. The proposed command "dvd+rw-format -force=full /dev/hdv" gives the following msg: "4.7 Gb DVD+RW media detected ; Unimplemented command-line option for this media ; you have the option to re-run dvd+rw-format with: lead out or force to enforce new format (not recommended) and wipe data." I choice the second one and the command line is now: dvd+rw-format -force /dev/hdb.
This last command seems to work.

The second step Creates UDF syst files works well. Ok for the mounting point and the mount commands. (mkdir & mount)

The partimage command starts well (question: partimage -zl: is it z one or zL ??). Partimage Options: compression, description, split files 2Go (i also tried the first lenght option, the result is the same)
At a certain moment I get the msg: "Disk full ! Can't write next volume (winBu.pi.001) to /mnt/disc ; please enter another directory path (without filename). "OK or Cancel ?"
I choice "Cancel" and ..... it continues to work ! till the space available on the partimage screen became 0 . Then it gives the error msg "cannot writes on Temp... not enough space" !!
So I cancel again and it returns to the prompt.
Some msg on the screeen also indicate errors in sectors xxxx...

I had a look at the dvd with windows disk manager and which indicates for the dvd disk: 4,38 Go UDF (sain). There is one file (WinBu.pi.000) of 186 Mo on the dvd !

What is the matter now ?

The writer is a NEC AD7173A

Tuipveus

Re: Writing a dvd with RescuedCd by mounting it

Postby Tuipveus » 28 Dec 2007, 18:34

reccerib wrote:hello,
So i just tried as you proposed in your last msg "Burning_a_DVD_RW_from_SystemRescueCd_by_mounting_it"

I choice the second one and the command line is now: dvd+rw-format -force /dev/hdb.
This last command seems to work.

I have same problem and noticed same result.

reccerib wrote:The partimage command starts well (question: partimage -zl: is it z one or zL ??). Partimage Options: compression, description, split files 2Go (i also tried the first lenght option, the result is the same)
At a certain moment I get the msg: "Disk full ! Can't write next volume (winBu.pi.001) to /mnt/disc ; please enter another directory path (without filename). "OK or Cancel ?"

Are you sure that you are saving the image to same directory where you mounted your dvd+rw disc? Write mount without quotes to see list of mounted directories and discs.

You can get list of commandline options with partimage --help

partimage --help wrote:<---snip--->
Options:
* -z, --compress (image file compression level):
-z0, --compress=0 don't compress: very fast but very big image file
-z1, --compress=1 compress using gzip: fast and small image file (default)
-z2, --compress=2 (compress using bzip2: very slow and very small image file):
<---snip--->

Tuipveus

Re: Writing a dvd with RescuedCd by mounting it

Postby Tuipveus » 28 Dec 2007, 23:13

reccerib wrote:At a certain moment I get the msg: "Disk full ! Can't write next volume (winBu.pi.001) to /mnt/disc ; please enter another directory path (without filename). "OK or Cancel ?"

I tried to do same way. I noticed that partimage wont allow to unmount dvd+rw after it has wrote the first file. When you get ---- "please enter another directory path (without filename). "OK or Cancel ?"" ---- just dont enter anything and you will get error that "you have to give some directory". Before clicking ok, you can unmount your dvd and put another one to drive. After that you can click ok and enter right path, for example /mnt/cdrom/.

I am not 100% sure will images taken like this work or not, I think you should test them first at least.

I noticed that writing to dvd+rw is quite slow, and I think it is because so little data is written at time. The best workaround would be ramdrive (or compact flash) to save your images. In another terminal you can copy (or even rsync) files from terminal to dvd, so everyone (every program) is happy and I bet it is faster too. I think I'll test that one tomorrow.

I also noticed that when using partimage in gzip mode and copying 6GB file it would take about 3 hours to complete in 10Mbit network.

If I do same with Compact Flash usb-reader and cf-card, it took about 15 minutes. So how you do it, has big impact on time.

Return to “Other”