suggested usbinst.sh alternate -> GPT_G2_SR.sh

Discussions about what to change in future versions (except software request).
twallace51

suggested usbinst.sh alternate -> GPT_G2_SR.sh

Postby twallace51 » 26 Feb 2014, 16:49

Hello!
I would like to have the System Rescue leaders consider adding GPT_G2_SR.sh to the next SystemRescue version(4.0.2 ?), as an alternate to the usbinst.sh already present.
See the link below to download and test the script.

In GPT_G2_SR.sh, I have made a number of chages which I hope will be considered improvements compared to usbinst.sh.

Specifically, it only runs in a system booted with System Rescue, ie initially with a SystemRescueCD.
It will then look for any unpartitioned drive it finds in a system, partition it using GPT, install Grub2 and System Rescue to the drive and then copy itself to the drive.
The drive can be any SATA or USB hard disk or a USB flash memory drive.
Rebooting with this drive, the user will have all the advantages of a customized System Rescue desktop, plus an easy way to clone System Rescue to any other
drive added later to the system, using GPT_G2_SR.sh.
Note that this script is very safe, it will only install itself to a drive in which all partitions have been deleted beforehand and ~manually~ by its user.
Also note that the Grub2 menu items use UUID descriptors for partitions, allowing easy mixing and matching of drives in a system over time.
Finally, I wrote it for either fast automatic run, or interactive (debugging) mode, where the user can see the results of each section of the script.
In the Bash script itself, I tried to make it clearer the hows and whys of each section.

To test this script, I suggest using ISOMaster to add this script to a SystemRescueCD ISO file and burn the ISO to a CD using xfBurn.
Remove all drives from your computer, except one, a previously blanked out hard disk using gParted.
Boot with this new CD and at command prompt, enter

bash /livemnt/boot/GPT_G2_SR.sh

Thanks, in anticipation for any time spent in reviewing/testing this script and any comments that you might want to make.

Download script from:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BziD5v ... sp=sharing

Tim [email protected] Cochabmba, Bolivia

Return to “Future”