Please STOP the growing

Discussions about what to change in future versions (except software request).
carpas

Please STOP the growing

Postby carpas » 22 Sep 2013, 11:04

The size of RescueCD is growing. Please STOP, is not more a RescueCD, is a new distribution.
I think you are lost your scope.

tului

Re: Please STOP the growing

Postby tului » 19 Oct 2013, 07:08

As long as it fits on a CD why is there a problem? If you have an ancient computer you can always grab an older version of the iso. I prefer having more features than less.

I do agree that what is added should be carefully considered so as not to turn this into a full distribution, but at under 500MB I think it is still quite slim.

gernot

Postby gernot » 19 Oct 2013, 10:47

A small footprint is advantageous.
You save time while downloading, burning and sometime booting.
Docache and pxe-boot work on older hardware where fat systems fail.

On modern systems with working USB boot it is easy to add modules like firefox.srm .
Just copy it....
This keep the system small and open for "less topic" usage.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Modules

Gernot

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 02 Mar 2014, 11:33

We do real hard work to try to keep it as small as possible. For example most package need GTK3 except XFCE which still requires GTK2. Normally both versions of GTK should just be installed but it would use more space. Had to make many custom versions of the packages to remove the dependency on GTK3 for now. Am considering the removal of very large packages such as clamav.

costinel

Postby costinel » 29 May 2014, 11:06

Removing the ONLY antivirus in the distro is a very very bad mistake. thank you for the long years -----------, you do not realize the impact. I JUST SPENT AN HOUR WAITING FOR THE ------------ DOWNLOAD !!! for a thing that USED TO WORK.

Mod edit: Be nice together :-) Excluding the database is a good idea, also building a srm package.

costinel

Postby costinel » 29 May 2014, 11:09

you don't need to remove the whole package, you can remove just the virus databases which are downloaded with freshclam ANYWAY

costinel

Postby costinel » 29 May 2014, 11:49

for example you can take out one of the kernels. who needs two versions anyway? latest version is always great. not bad the lts either. just pick one, i don't care which.
you only want to boot, fix something and exit

seriously, is anyone reading this alway in need of two kernels? if yes, care to explain why?

cschulzejn

Postby cschulzejn » 16 Jun 2014, 15:57

costinel wrote:seriously, is anyone reading this alway in need of two kernels? if yes, care to explain why?

We are happy to have two kernels in SysRescCd! Brand-new computers sometimes need the newest kernel to boot. But sometimes the newest kernel has bugs.

costinel

Postby costinel » 26 Aug 2014, 00:40

cschulzejn wrote:
costinel wrote:seriously, is anyone reading this alway in need of two kernels? if yes, care to explain why?

We are happy to have two kernels in SysRescCd! Brand-new computers sometimes need the newest kernel to boot. But sometimes the newest kernel has bugs.

could you give an example when you were unable to boot a brand-new computer using the default kernel in the system rescue cd?

cschulzejn

Postby cschulzejn » 27 Aug 2014, 16:09

costinel wrote:[...]

could you give an example when you were unable to boot a brand-new computer using the default kernel in the system rescue cd?

I am sorry, I do not have any logs or somehting, it was ~2 years ago.

The default kernel is LTS. With this kernel many brand new laptops did not did not recognize the NIC or boot at all. So we had to use the newer kernel.

xax2

Postby xax2 » 31 Aug 2014, 22:18

Yes, please keep the 2-kernel way. Also please dont stop growing. The internet connections everywhere in the world are getting faster and faster. Just use as less as possible closed source software and grow with open source software.

Return to “Future”