Backstore vs Snapshots

Discussions about what to change in future versions (except software request).
marc8

Backstore vs Snapshots

Postby marc8 » 27 Aug 2010, 11:53

Hi, I've been using Sysreccd since earlier versions with great satisfaction in every task, so thanks for all.

Now, I've got a suggestion about persistence: backstore works well, writing down every filesystem's change to the backstore device. Great if that device is an HD, but, we know, the USB keys/flash devices have a limited write cycle.

So, to preserve lifetime, it would be better to write "on-demand" the entire content of /livemnt/memory to the device. That's a snapshot.

The write process could be invoked by the user (after applying important changes for example) or done automatically at shutdown. Restoring the snapshot could be done at boot (using eventually a boot option) or by the user asking for a "rollback".

Snapshots could be more than one, allowing different scenarios to be rapidly deployed. Snapshots can be compressed to save space.

I've made some experiments, using cpio and gzip (/tmp/snap/ is my mounted snapshot device):

Take a snapshot:

Code: Select all

find /livemnt/memory/ -depth -print | cpio -oV | gzip -c - >/tmp/snap/snapshot.cpio.gz

Restore a snapshot:

Code: Select all

gunzip /tmp/snap/snapshot.cpio.gz -c | cpio -iudV

It seems to work, altought not deeply tested.
My suggestion is to consider implementing snapshots in newer versions (I can help).

Hope to be useful, bye.
Marco

gernot

Re: Backstore vs Snapshots

Postby gernot » 27 Aug 2010, 21:00

thats a good idea for easy customicing.
I also like the actuel backstore because it saves much memory on older PC.

Gernot

Return to “Future”