Web site with downloadable "big" packages

Discussions about what to change in future versions (except software request).
rbeede

Web site with downloadable "big" packages

Postby rbeede » 19 Jul 2010, 18:35

It'd be nice if I could run a command like "/root/loadBigPackage.sh" and have it bring up a menu (pulled from the sysresccd.org website) that allows me to download and install tar.bz2 files of other tools not included in the default iso.

Things like smbclient, Google Chrome, Java JRE, Firefox with Java JRE plugin configured, Firefox w/Flash.

Some of things like Java and Flash may require a download script that downloads it from the actual vendor and installs it to avoid licensing issues.

Of course I can always customize, but this would save me some hassle or make it easy to add just a few one-offs.

Example:

1. I boot with a stock latest stable version.
2. net-setup eth0
3. /root/loadBigPackage.sh
4. Select "Samba Client Tools" from the menu list
5. Script downloads tar.bz2 of the binaries and drops them into /bin or /usr/bin or wherever they should go.

rbeede

Re: Web site with downloadable "big" packages

Postby rbeede » 19 Jul 2010, 18:42

Thinking about this some more you start to get into running your own distro repository of packages which would be annoying to maintain.

Perhaps a text file like /root/emergePackageLists that lists the packages one can already download via running "emerge somepkg" on the command line?

Common things like the one for smbclient or others requested frequently.

BTW: Anyone know what arguments to give emerge so I can get smbclient? I need it to list smb shares on a windows server so I can mount it. I don't remember the share name off the top of my head so being able to smbclient -L would be nice.

Return to “Future”