Stripped Down Cachable Image

Discussions about what to change in future versions (except software request).

Stripped Down Cachable Image

Postby Ruler » 13 Aug 2009, 17:27

I ran into a circumstance the other day where I wanted to boot from the SRCD, start a hard drive scan, then eject the CD so I could use it on another system. However, there was only 256 meg of RAM in the box, whereas the current version of the SRCD requires 300+ to cache the image. I'd like to request that there be one or more stripped-down images included on the CD that you could boot and cache on a 256 meg box, 128, and even a 64 meg machine; each would of course have fewer tools available. (98% of the time, I don't use X at all and I know it's quite large, so just eliminating X and the associated libraries could feasibly knock down a very large amount of memory from the requirement.)

Site Admin

Postby admin » 13 Aug 2009, 19:47

I really don't want to maintain multiple editions of the rescue disk, it would be a huge effort. I prefer making just the most appropriate one, and users have to make their own customizations to it.

Please already requested:
- one with 32bit binaries, one with 64bit binaries
- one english-only, one multi-lang
- one very-small, one standard

With all the possible combinations, we already have 8 versions to maintain... It's just not possible. Only Microsoft can do 10 editions for a piece of software.

Postby Ruler » 13 Aug 2009, 20:24

LOL! :lol: Yeah, I didn't think about the maintenance aspect of it - sorry about that. I'll just do what I did yesterday, namely use one of the older versions of the SRCD for the drive scan and simply leave it in. (It's not like I don't have half a dozen CDs of different versions laying around or anything... ;) )

Return to “Future”