Bring back iperf2

Post there if an important software is missing and has to be added
zoredache

Bring back iperf2

Postby zoredache » 14 Jul 2015, 16:59

Iperf3 and Iperf v2 are not compatible with each other. Iperf3 can only test against other systems running iperf3.

I am not entirely sure on which version you switched but this was extremely annoying. I have tons of deployed systems running a release of a distro that doesn't include iperf3 yet, and that I needed to do some performance tests on this summer.

zoredache

Re: Bring back iperf2

Postby zoredache » 17 Nov 2015, 23:08

Is there any chance of this happening? Is there a better location to request that this package get included?

It is extremely frustrating to not be able to use sysresccd for network testing anymore since it no longer includes a version of Iperf that is compatible with other systems.

For example the README in the repo says.

https://github.com/esnet/iperf

This version, sometimes referred to as iperf3, is a redesign of an original version developed at NLANR/DAST. iperf3 is a new implementation from scratch, with the goal of a smaller, simpler code base, and a library version of the functionality that can be used in other programs. iperf3 also a number of features found in other tools such as nuttcp and netperf, but were missing from the original iperf. These include, for example, a zero-copy mode and optional JSON output. Note that iperf3 is not backwards compatible with the original iperf.

Return to “Software request”