Git

Post there if an important software is missing and has to be added
emiliano

Git

Postby emiliano » 27 Feb 2011, 17:48

dear Admin,
is it possible to have Git installed in the SystemRescueCD please?
Even if Git is mainly used as a Version Control System, it can be used as a backup tool and as content management systems.

Many thanks,
Emiliano

admin
Site Admin

Re: Git

Postby admin » 06 Mar 2011, 10:27

I made a test version with git, and the ISO is 2MB larger, so I prefer not adding it as it's not essential for admin tasks.

emiliano

Postby emiliano » 06 Mar 2011, 16:03

hello Admin,
first of all many thanks for the effort in producing the test version.
I don't want to be polemical, I respect your opinion and choice to not include git, but if the problem is only 2 MB, are we sure that no "inessential" packages are already included in the current iso?
For example: how many users really need Geany (a development IDE) in Sysresccd ? it's 1.3 MB..

many thanks and best regards,

Emiliano

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 06 Mar 2011, 21:23

Geany is a bad example. I was looking for a good and lightweight graphical text editor based on GTK, and Geany is just the best GTK text editor that I have found. It has just the features we need (multiple tabs, seach/replace, ...) I know it's an IDE as I am using it for my C development, but I am not going to replace it with another program like leafpad just because it has features we don't need. Most good GTK editors may also depend on Gnome libraries that one does not.

I know the current version could grow and still fit on a CD-Rom. The problem with size is that each time the ISO is one MB bigger it has several consequences:
- longer to download and there are still people with slow connections
- higher memory requirement to boot via PXE or using docache

That's why I always try to consider the best balance between the size of a package (including dependencies) and the services it provides.

Keruspe

Postby Keruspe » 05 Sep 2014, 11:28

Sorry for digging out such an old thread, but I think that things have changed since 2011.
We're now in late 2014 and git is basically used everywhere, and not only for source-code management.
Having to build by hand git each time I use sysrescuecd because I need it to access my configuration, my backup/rescue scripts and so on is quite boring.
No I won't start using another livecd even if git is not included as sysrescuecd is definitely the best from far, but it would be greatly appreciated if you'd reconsider including git in the future versions of sysrescuecd.

waxzce

Postby waxzce » 02 Jan 2015, 15:11

+1
Git will be so helpful

johndoe123

Postby johndoe123 » 21 Dec 2016, 04:02

As this topic has been coming up repeatedly and has Keruspe has said, git is a big thing now, I know of course you can go to the website and manually download it, but when making auto-install sh scripts etc. git is extreamly useful, along with the apt-get command which is unfourtunatly not avaliable either, Just some suggestions.

Return to “Software request”