qemu or at least qemu-img

Post there if an important software is missing and has to be added
fips

qemu or at least qemu-img

Post by fips » 02 Oct 2009, 08:06

qemu-img can convert virtual and raw images from/to raw, vhd, vmdk and other formats

i use it to convert old windows machines to virtualpc (vhd) format directly from sysrescd.

also you can convert between vmware and virtualpc formats (vhd, vmdk)

thanks in advance!

admin
Site Admin

Re: qemu or at least qemu-img

Post by admin » 11 Oct 2009, 19:55

Visualization software is not really considered as appropriate for System & Rescue software.

NeBlackCat

Post by NeBlackCat » 25 Oct 2009, 04:14

admin wrote:Visualization software is not really considered as appropriate for System & Rescue software.
Why not? Firstly, sometimes your first panic on a dead system is being able to run/test/recover an important virtual machine. Secondly, sometimes it's useful to try and run the OS on the hard drive inside a VM (with a virtual hard drive mapping straight through to the physical one) to fix it, perhaps in read-only (ie. copy on write) mode.

I just joined here to ask if VirtualBox-OSE could be added to a bootable kernel, for this type of usage!

asjones

Post by asjones » 31 Mar 2010, 19:19

FIPS and NeBlackcat,

I looked at qemu-img, but was not sure how easy it was just to use it to create VHDs or VMDS of a drive.

But agree the need is there see my post at:
http://www.sysresccd.org/forums/viewtop ... f=4&t=3070

it be great when you go into site need to grab data off and just load it onto a VHD as you don't know what kind of hardware it may be on later..... Then you don't have to worry about the hardware of the new destination. One also might not have to worry about OS of the destination as you have a Linux box and load up the VHD inside VirtualBox and the original OS that SystemRescueCD got couldbe Windows or Linux.

hopefully this is something for the near future.

Alan

costinel

Post by costinel » 30 Jan 2019, 12:10

admin wrote:
11 Oct 2009, 19:55
Visualization software is not really considered as appropriate for System & Rescue software.
qemu-img helps to check integrity of qcow2 files

When you boot a broken physical machine that had virtual machines, maybe you don't want/have time to copy tens of GB of .qcow2 files, but rather you need just some files from a vm.

qemu-nbd helps you to mount the qcow2 files as block devices with the help of kernel nbd module

Please reconsider adding https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-emulation/qemu
note that qemu does NOT need a GUI, and we do not ask for libvirt/virt-manager.
qemu binaries do not take a lot of space.

I don't have access to a gentoo box right now, but here are the sizes (including documentation, which can be stripped on sysresccd) on centos:

$ rpm -qi qemu-img-ev|grep -i size #qemu-img and qemu-nbd need just this package and do not depend on the other qemu-kvm packages
Size : 5212420

To compare, here is a random useless stuff in sysrescd (output from ncdu):

/usr/share/cursors/xorg-x11/Adwaita/cursors
4.0 MiB [##########] watch
4.0 MiB [##########] left_ptr_watch

8mb mouse pointers...

another random useless file
/usr/bin
6.1 MiB [##########] smbtorture
seriously, who runs this on a rescue system? from their wiki "The smbtorture framework provided in Samba is an extremely powerful tool for exercising obscure parts of Windows protocols and determining how different server implementations, Windows among them, respond."