GParted 0.30 and ... SystemRescue project dying ???

Post there if an important software is missing and has to be added

GParted 0.30 and ... SystemRescue project dying ???

Postby sdrubble » 08 Jan 2018, 17:49

I may seem to be asking about two entirely different subjects in a single post. But I have a feeling that both of my questions might have the SAME answer ... :(

I've been following and using SystemRescueCD since some of its 0.x versions (most of which have been removed from the changelog page a long, long time ago).

One very positive thing that I have always noticed (and always paid close attention to), thru the lifetime of the project, was that the GParted tool had ALWAYS been kept up-to-date within SRCD. Many instances have happened in the past, when Dupoux would update SRCD *only* to include the latest version of GParted. This went on always without fail, and usually the newest version of GParted would find its way into SRCD in about 1-3 weeks at the most.

Today I find the following situation (bear in mind I'm NOT DEMANDING anything from the devs - who certainly don't owe me anything ! :) ) -

1. GParted 0.29.0 was released on 2017-08-07 ( ... ), and made its way into SRCD 5.0.4 (on 2017-08-24).

2. GParted 0.30.0 was released on 2017-10-10 ( ... ).

3. SRCD has launched THREE subsequent releases (5.1.0, 5.1.1 & 5.1.2), all of which have ignored the updated GParted 0.30.0. I haven't personally downloaded either of these 3 versions yet, but I'm trusting the contents of SRCD's changelog and package-list pages.
EDIT: My mistake, sorry - both SRCD 5.1.0 & 5.1.1 pre-date GParted 0.30.0, so they were both up-to-date. It was only SRCD 5.1.2 (published 2017.11.05) which could be said to "have ignored GParted 0.30.0".

4. The last forum post by admin (who I assume to be Dupoux himself) is from May 30, 2017. gernot, who's seemingly the other helpful poster in the forums, has made only 5 posts since that same date ... while I could find a bunch of recent topics by other users, in various of the sub-forums, which have 0 replies.

Again: I'm not demanding anything from any one here. But I also know that many (if not most) open source projects have a limited lifetime, which usually goes hand-in-hand with the personal RL circumstances of the founder(s) / developer(s). I'm just asking to be INFORMED if this is finally the case with SystemRescueCD - which has always been for me one of the most useful projects out there, and that for a sizeable number of years.

Regardless of your reply (or non-reply), rest assured you'll always have my greatest gratitude and respect.

Cheers & good luck to everybody ! :)

EDIT: P.S. - In face of my previous mistake (already corrected above, in item 3.), I admit I might have exaggerated in my overall tone about the "imminent death" of SystemRescue... I might have deleted my post entirely because of that exaggeration. However, I will keep it. Who knows, it might bring up some public insight into the current and future status of the project - which is one I particularly care very much for.

Re: GParted 0.30 and ... SystemRescue project dying ???

Postby gernot » 09 Jan 2018, 16:27

@sdrubble yes, it is real quiet here. I try to help on topics i know about. Some questions are so special that they need costly testing to answer.

Sysrcd is also a favor for me. Sometime i have to use old versions because actual versions don't work on legacy hardware or things are dropped.

There are many good reasons to drop things. I think it is in most cases size, outdated packages, sometimes great effort to upgrade to new versions.

I think manpower is the main problem.
There are some things which are nice to have but no can afford the integration and the testing.
I think about things like save raid handling, better alternate manual network control, maybe safe boot.

p.s. this is not only a sysrcd problem. I think on puppy linux which was long time my "Desktop to go" with save function. I dont find any actual live linux with this function runniing on actual hardware.

Postby sdrubble » 16 Jan 2018, 22:36

Merci gernot,

Thx for the clarifications. The way I see it, this entropy issue affects all things in life (usually the best ones ...), not only the software projects. In face of this fact, we do what's possible - evolve and adapt. :\

The forum didn't send me an email notification of your reply - that's why I'm late on replying myself.

Regarding Sysrcd and gparted specifically, I'll probably end up complementing Sysrcd with GParted Live, mostly wherever I need to dance with FAT32 partitions. It seems to me that the GParted author has implemented his own workarounds around some upstream quirks from the parted libraries - entropy happening around these latter ones too, that's my guess. :(

Good luck, and take care ! :)

Postby ottavio » 17 Jan 2018, 17:24

I'm emotionally connected to sysrescd because it has helped me a lot in the past. Is there any way that I can help? I'm not a developer but I have some experience with Linux and open source.

Return to “Software request”