Mounting FAT Windows partitions.

All other questions
mediaman13

Mounting FAT Windows partitions.

Postby mediaman13 » 07 Feb 2012, 16:14

I'm sorry folks - I must be stupid - but I can't figure out the deal with mounting FAT32 Windows partitions with SRD. Maybe it's my lack of a linux background. The only thing I can find in the documentation is the instructions on mounting NTFS partitions and the following:

"Never mount anything on /mnt ! It would freeze the system. Use mkdir /mnt/mydir and mount on /mnt/mydir instead."

Not knowing Linux, I have no idea what that means. I've used SRD with ntfs-3g and haven't needed to use make directory to mount those partitions. Is this caution only meant for FAT partitions, or did I just get lucky? And what's the actual mounting syntax for FAT partitions? I've tried the above command, but the partition wasn't magically mounted - I honestly didn't think it would be - so what's syntax follows that to complete the process.

Or do FAT partitions mount automatically, and the fact that I can't see this partition on the machine I'm trying to repair is an indication that something's wrong. I can't find the answer by skimming the manual. I don't really understand why it's not in the same section where the above quote comes from.

I apologize if this has been asked, but a forum search produced 12 pages of entries and I'm not sure I want to wade through all that if it's not necessary.

Thanks.

gernot

Re: Mounting FAT Windows partitions.

Postby gernot » 07 Feb 2012, 16:26

just run

mkdir /mnt/mydir
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/mydir

sda1 is the first partition on the first harddisk.
"fsarchiver probe" list all partitions.

Gernot

mediaman13

Postby mediaman13 » 07 Feb 2012, 19:52

Thank You!
Actually I just came back to say I was sorry that I posted the thread and that I'd did more experimenting and figured it out. At least partially. I looked up the standard Linux mount command and realized - related to what you pointed out - that I could simply substitute mount for ntfs or ntfs-3g and use the same syntax. Which makes me wonder why you have to use mkdir when mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows works? I did use mkdir only because I wanted to mnt 2 hds and copy files from one to the other in MC, one in SRD's windows dir and one in the dir I made, obviously. Not knowing anything about Linux, I didn't realize that the command was mount and that /mnt was a directory. Tried to use mnt and /mnt in the same command. Should have reviewed the commands more, but figured it would be in the documentatin.

Shouldn't have posted here, but I think it would be better if the SRD people would spell some of this out, rather than assuming that the user already had some familiarity with Linux. Or put some basic Linux concepts in the manuals. I think you'd get more users that way for what is already an excellent product.

For example, what kind of syntax would crash the system? mount /dev/sda1 /mnt? Is that what they mean?

In any case, I'll probably write them an email and express that opinion, in case they don't see it here.

Thanks again.

gernot

Postby gernot » 07 Feb 2012, 20:24

The maual pages of most commands are included on sysrcd. Just type "man mount"

Mounting to /mnt don't crash the system anymore but if you need more mountpoints its better to use subdirectorys. Because many users blocked their system the critical directory is moved to /livemnt.
The mkdir is optional. mount can use any existing directory.

Gernot

p.s. The system is unusable if you hide system files behind a mounted device.

Return to “Other”