Easy install SystemRescueCd on harddisk (NTFS) [solved]

All other questions
rayvoelker

Easy install SystemRescueCd on harddisk (NTFS) [solved]

Postby rayvoelker » 05 Dec 2011, 20:49

I am trying to follow the directions listed on the "Easy install SystemRescueCd on harddisk" section of the documentations and am having no luck. I don't know if anyone else has had success with Windows 7, but I had previously followed these directions with Windows XP and had no problem whatsoever. Does anyone have any good documentation on this or know how to install SystemRescueCD along side Windows 7?

nickalreadytaken

Re: Easy install SystemRescueCd on harddisk (NTFS w/ Windows

Postby nickalreadytaken » 06 Dec 2011, 07:02

I have installed SystemrescueCD using grub4dos besides my Windows Vista installation. What actually is your problem? Do you receive any error message?

rayvoelker

Postby rayvoelker » 06 Dec 2011, 13:42

I followed the steps in the documentation and restarted the system. I first see two options from the Windows Boot Manager..
1) Windows 7
2) SystemRescueCD

I pick option 2 and it dumps me to the grub> prompt. (I have been able to get it to pause at the grub menu if i press the arrow key as it's coming up, but I only get 4 options for find /menu.1st, commandline, reboot, and halt)

I've verified that the menu.1st file is on the root of the C: drive and it looks correct.

The other odd thing is that at the grub> prompt I can enter in the commands listed in the menu.1st file to get it to boot SystemRescueCD successfully off of the hard disk...

grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> kernel /sysrcd/rescuecd subdir=sysrcd setkmap=us docache
grub> initrd /sysrcd/initram.igz
grub> boot

It seems to me that grub4dos just isn't reading the menu.1st file, but I'm not exactly sure why that may be.

rayvoelker

Postby rayvoelker » 06 Dec 2011, 13:52

I forgot to include what my menu.1st file on the C:\ drive looks like ... here it is.

title SystemRescueCD
root (hd0,0)
kernel /sysrcd/rescuecd subdir=sysrcd setkmap=us docache
initrd /sysrcd/initram.igz
boot

rayvoelker

Postby rayvoelker » 06 Dec 2011, 19:48

@nickalreadytaken ...so, I feel a little foolish. My menu.lst was actually named menu.1st, and it turned out that that was my problem. It looks like the directions worked flawlessly, save for my ability to distinguish between a lower case L and the number 1.

Thanks for your help though.

nickalreadytaken

Postby nickalreadytaken » 06 Dec 2011, 20:19

Fine, no problem. I was already thinking about a solution, but had no idea. At first I thought the device name was wrong, but I could not reproduce the problem on my own system :-)

rayvoelker

Re: Easy install SystemRescueCd on harddisk (NTFS) [solved]

Postby rayvoelker » 12 Dec 2011, 18:51

@nickalreadytaken, have you ever done any customization for SystemRescueCD? I figured I would ask you since you've already been so helpful ;-)

nickalreadytaken

Re: Easy install SystemRescueCd on harddisk (NTFS) [solved]

Postby nickalreadytaken » 18 Dec 2011, 12:24

Hi,

sorry, I haven't been building any custom versions of sysresccd, also I often am thinking of doing it. But I am to lazy :-)

Return to “Other”