Help Please...question about recovering personal files

All other questions
yesmam

Help Please...question about recovering personal files

Post by yesmam » 11 Nov 2010, 14:02

I have a virus on my desktop with Windows7 that is making it impossible for me to recover personal files. If windows loads at all I cannot open any program without the "buy this fake antivirus software" virus stopping me. I REALLY need to get some pictures (every photo in existence of my 3 month old daughter) off the computer. Can I use SystemRescueCd to do that?

If it isn't too much trouble, would someone please explain to me how to do that? I am trying to learn how to go about doing these things on my own and any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks.

sl500

Re: Help Please...question about recovering personal files

Post by sl500 » 11 Nov 2010, 16:22

Hello,

I'll try to help you and write a few things you can do... Support in this forum seems not to be very fast.
1. DON'T PANIC !!! Nothing is lost yet. There are much worse situations than yours. Most viruses won't
harm your data...
2. If you have another helthy computer, it will make your task a loooooot easier
3. If you are not using a laptop, the best would be to dismount your hard drive, attach it to another
computer and copy all the data you need. BE CAREFUL, do NOT copy any .exe files, just data...
4. G-Data Internet Security is an antivirus program, from which you can burn a linux bootable CD with
an antivirus program. Download it on some other computer, update it to the latest virus definitions, burn
the CD and go hunt the bastard that's haunting your PC. Probably there are other antivirus programs with
this feature.
5. I don't think that system rescue CD can help you a lot in your case.
6. You can try to run some online scanner, Symantec and Panda are offering such... Then you can delete
every infected file by hand. Just don't know if your tiny little virus will let you do so. Many viruses are
hiding everywhere - registry, etc. and are very very difficult to track and to get rid of...
7. ALWAYS Use a GOOD, ALWAYS UP TO DATE antivirus system, for instance G-Data, BitDefender, Kaspersky...
Browse through suspicious websites from a virtual machine. Sandboxie is a very precious tool for this!
8. GOOD LUCK!

yesmam

Post by yesmam » 12 Nov 2010, 14:40

The infected computer is not a laptop, but the only other computers I have are laptops. I'm going to try one of the virus protection programs you suggested and I'll get back later to say if it worked.

Thanks for your help!

sl500

Post by sl500 » 15 Nov 2010, 12:17

Hello,

You are still on the good side!! There USB boxes for hard drives. You can dismount the harddrive
from your computer, put it in such a box and read it on one for your laptops. Or you could ask a
friend with a desktop PC to copy your data and store them in emergency.
You could also borrow or buy one of the boxes that I've mentioned above.
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING - DO NOT USE the infected computer and KEEP IT SWITCHED OFF!!!
Do not turn it back on, before you copied your precious data off of the drive.
Afterwards, boot from an antivirus CD and try to clean it. If it looks good, and you are able to start
windows, perform several checks from within windows with at least 2 antivirus programs, launch also
an online scan. Then use the for a while to make sure that really all the infections are gone.
After taking all these steps, go back to normal use.

I hope I could help you!