No xinetd???

Topics about the system utilities that are not related to Hard-disk and storage
Ruler

No xinetd???

Postby Ruler » 14 Nov 2016, 14:45

I would like to give somebody remote access to a machine on my network, so I booted a box that does not yet have an OS using System Rescue CD 4.1.0. (Last version with clamav.) The net-setup script did not work to get the machine on our network, but configuring directly with ifconfig did. I then went to enable telnetd. The daemon exists as in.telnetd, so I simply created a new file under /etc/xinetd with the appropriate settings. However, when I went to restart xinetd, it was not running! Indeed, there is no xinetd file on the virtual file system that is created when the CD boots.

Now I *know* that such a useful piece of software could not have been dropped from the CD, regardless of what happened to clamav. It's probably right in front of me & I'm simply missing where the executable is located. Could anybody point me in the right direction to start the xinetd daemon? (Or even just plain inetd, as it does everything needed.)

gernot

Re: No xinetd???

Postby gernot » 14 Nov 2016, 16:10

you can use in.telnetd -debug for one session,
Don't forget to add a user and grant root or the user login permissions

It is also possible to use nc (netcat)

The best way is to use ssh. Just set a root password.

Gernot

Ruler

Re: No xinetd???

Postby Ruler » 14 Nov 2016, 16:53

Yeah, I used in.telnetd directly with the following command:

Code: Select all

while (( 1 == 1 )) ; do ; /usr/sbin/in.telnetd -debug ; done

Also added pts/0 through pts/9 to /etc/securettys to allow logins as root via telnet and reset the password.

Seems silly that inetd/xinetd aren't there, even though the configs for xinetd are. :(

Return to “System software”