Installing to a VM, in RW harddisk. Any .ova prebuilt?

Post questions about how to make a customized SystemRescueCd, and if you have problems to install new packages. Please read the handbook first.
nellson

Installing to a VM, in RW harddisk. Any .ova prebuilt?

Postby nellson » 28 Apr 2015, 14:23

I like Sysrescuecd's build of Gentoo very much, has all the networking tools and VMtools that I would need for a VM test host (several in fact). I saw that I can set a VM to boot from ISO, and use a writable partition to store changed settings. I am sure someone has just transferred the image to a VMDK or OVA that could be used in VMWare?

All the how to's I have seen seem to leave me with just the .iso booting from hard drive with the same RO squash fs and the need for a second drive to store the RW overlay.

Nick

nellson

Re: Installing to a VM, in RW harddisk. Any .ova prebuilt?

Postby nellson » 28 Apr 2015, 18:30

Using the install to HD the "old way" and fighting with Grub2 for a few hours, I managed to get SysRescueCD using the rescue64 kernel booting from a hard drive, with vmware-tools auto starting and NetworkManager disabled.

This gives me an image I can clone to get multiple hosts for testing, but I want to try the VMware procedure for generating an .ova, see if I can figure out how to use those configure options to set the IPv4 settings.

Again, if someone has already been here, chime in with what worked..

Return to “Customization and installing new packages”