Installing to a VM, in RW harddisk. Any .ova prebuilt?

Post questions about how to make a customized SystemRescueCd, and if you have problems to install new packages. Please read the handbook first.
nellson

Installing to a VM, in RW harddisk. Any .ova prebuilt?

Post by nellson » 28 Apr 2015, 14:23

I like Sysrescuecd's build of Gentoo very much, has all the networking tools and VMtools that I would need for a VM test host (several in fact). I saw that I can set a VM to boot from ISO, and use a writable partition to store changed settings. I am sure someone has just transferred the image to a VMDK or OVA that could be used in VMWare?

All the how to's I have seen seem to leave me with just the .iso booting from hard drive with the same RO squash fs and the need for a second drive to store the RW overlay.

Nick

nellson

Re: Installing to a VM, in RW harddisk. Any .ova prebuilt?

Post by nellson » 28 Apr 2015, 18:30

Using the install to HD the "old way" and fighting with Grub2 for a few hours, I managed to get SysRescueCD using the rescue64 kernel booting from a hard drive, with vmware-tools auto starting and NetworkManager disabled.

This gives me an image I can clone to get multiple hosts for testing, but I want to try the VMware procedure for generating an .ova, see if I can figure out how to use those configure options to set the IPv4 settings.

Again, if someone has already been here, chime in with what worked..