kernel config oddness

Post questions about how to make a customized SystemRescueCd, and if you have problems to install new packages. Please read the handbook first.
vanepp

kernel config oddness

Postby vanepp » 02 Jun 2014, 01:04

I'm still trying to config a kernel that works completely so far without success. My latest attempt is to start from a
4.2.0 alt kernel. To do so I've downloaded the patches and the 3.13.10 kernel sources and patched the kernel. However when
I config the kernel (in a chrooted environment booted from the alt kernel on the rescue CD) the .config file generated by
running make menuconfig doesn't match the rescue cd config generated from the running system by

cat /proc/config.gz | gzip -d > resccd.conf

which is unexpected. For instance in general setup -> IRQ subsystem the entry is blank even if I try and enable it. However
in the config from the CD there are the lines:

CONFIG_GENERIC_PENDING_IRQ=y
CONFIG_IRQ_DOMAIN=y
# CONFIG_IRQ_DOMAIN_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_IRQ_FORCED_THREADING=y

in the .config file for the new kernel there are only

CONFIG_GENERIC_PENDING_IRQ=y
CONFIG_IRQ_FORCED_THREADING=y

the other two lines are missing. If I could enable the IRQ subsystem line that may change, but I can't figure out how to do
that. Another example in Kernel Performance Events and counters in the CD config has

CONFIG_OPTPROBES=y
CONFIG_UPROBES=y
# CONFIG_HAVE_64BIT_ALIGNED_ACCESS is not set

where the new kernel config has only

CONFIG_OPTPROBES=y
# CONFIG_HAVE_64BIT_ALIGNED_ACCESS is not set

and I don't see any setting in menuconfig that looks like it would produce the missing value (which sometimes happens if an
option isn't selected in the config just to make things confusing :-)).
I'm going to assume the missing options won't cause too many problems and continue the tedious task of trying to make
the .config for the new kernel look like the one for the CD which I'm currently doing by comparing the two config files with vi
while changing the settings in menuconfig to make them match. Is there a better way to do this? Does the configs not matching
indicate I have screwed up the patching somehow (patch reported some patch with offset messages but no failures as far as
I can see).

Peter Van Epp

vanepp

Re: kernel config oddness

Postby vanepp » 02 Jun 2014, 01:22

In case I'm missing a patch or patches here are the patches that I downloaded and applied against the linux-3.13.tar.xz
kernel sources:

alt-sources-3.13-01-stable-3.13.10.patch.xz
alt-sources-3.13-02-fc19.patch.xz
alt-sources-3.13-03-aufs.patch.xz
alt-sources-3.13-04-reiser4.patch.xz

I suppose its still possible that enabling later options will cause the missing options to appear in the config since I'm no where
near finished trying to make the two match :-).

Peter Van Epp

Return to “Customization and installing new packages”