Connected to wireless - Most websites not loading

Topics about the networking software (ssh, nfs, samba, ...). No questions about network drivers there.
DamascusElm

Connected to wireless - Most websites not loading

Postby DamascusElm » 31 Oct 2013, 05:19

Hello! I'm using Sysresccd 3.8.1, USB booted onto an older Dell Inspiron 600m. Using graphical environment. Network Manager connects to my wireless network just fine, but only particular websites work. Search engines work but almost all search results, once clicked on, result in a "Page can not be found, cannot resolve hostname" message. Wikipedia seems to work just fine but cnn.com, slashdot.org, nytimes.com and almost any other website I try to reach directly through its URL or through a search engine come up with the same "can't be found" message.

Used an older version of Sysresccd in the past on the same laptop, over a year ago and never had any issues with the network connectivity. Have lost/forgotten what version that was. Just downloaded the most recent build tonight and am running into this problem.

Any tips to troubleshoot this?

gernot

Re: Connected to wireless - Most websites not loading

Postby gernot » 31 Oct 2013, 07:35

Check the used nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf
Maybe its 8.8.8.8 (google nameservice).
Sometime the router IP work better. Just add a "nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx line to /etc/resolv.conf

You can use "nslookup" and tcpdump to trace the problem.

Gernot

DamascusElm

Postby DamascusElm » 02 Nov 2013, 01:05

Thanks for the response!

Checked nameservice, it looks good. Was having trouble utilizing the nslookup and tcpdump commands (relatively new to linux) but was able to see that most websites could not be connected to using tcpdump. I was using Midori and ELINKS, so I installed the Firefox srm to see if that worked. Same problem, but I set "network.dns.disableIPV6" to true in firefox's config, and was able to browse websites normally. Is there a way to disable IPV6 protocol in Sysresccd?

gernot

Postby gernot » 02 Nov 2013, 08:35

I cant test this because i don't have IPv6.

Try to remove the IPv6 address from the interface:
you see the used adresses with ifconfig.
ifconfig <interface> inet6 del <ipv6address>/<prefixlength>

It is also possible to remove the address via networkmanager.
I think we need a new boot option till IPv6 work well.

Gernot

Return to “Networking (except PXE booting)”