NetworkManager kills sshd

Topics about the networking software (ssh, nfs, samba, ...). No questions about network drivers there.
simusphere

NetworkManager kills sshd

Postby simusphere » 31 Jan 2013, 09:12

I'm using a custom system rescue cd version 3.2.0 and when I attempt to configure the network manually the sshd service is stopped. Somehow it is linked to the NetworkManager service so:

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop
ifconfig eth0 192.168.100.50

At this point the sshd service is down due to linking with NetworkManager. I need the sshd service to be running without NetworkManager but:

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/sshd start

That last command also starts the NetworkManager service backup and kills my static ip address configuration. What the heck is going on? I don't recall this being a problem in past versions of the system rescuecd.

UPDATE:
OK, I tested this this on an older version 2.6.0 and everything worked as I expected. I tried using the nonm option on the new version in grub and now sshd is no longer tied to NetworkManager. That only means I have to change a few scripts around that reference NetworkManager and I'll be back in business. Not sure why that association with sshd was made but at least there is a way to make it work that is not too painful.

Return to “Networking (except PXE booting)”