system rescue cd 1.5.4 connected but no internet.

Topics about the networking software (ssh, nfs, samba, ...). No questions about network drivers there.
srpsinu

system rescue cd 1.5.4 connected but no internet.

Postby srpsinu » 28 May 2010, 08:31

This is my first post

In system rescue cd 1.5.4 I was able to connect to internet using pppoe-setup but cannot browse internet. also cannot ping DNS or any url. i can ping 192.168.1.1 , my lan ip, lo interface. all are configured thru dhcp.

In previous versions nothing else was needed to surf net except pppoe-setup. after connection i was able to surf using firefox, but cant do so in this version.

all help appreciated

thanks

srpsinu

admin
Site Admin

Re: system rescue cd 1.5.4 connected but no internet.

Postby admin » 28 May 2010, 09:13

It's very likely to be because of the Network-Manager service. It's a graphical tool with an icon in the taskbar when you work in the graphical environment. It makes the network configuration much easier especially for wireless. You can use it instead of pppoe-setup.

If you want to configure the network with standard console tools you have to stop the Network-Manager service:
/etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop

You can also boot with the "nonm" option with SystemRescueCd-1.5.5-beta9 and more recent to disable this service automatically.

srpsinu

Re: system rescue cd 1.5.4 connected but no internet.

Postby srpsinu » 28 May 2010, 15:26

Thanks admin for the prompt reply.

Actually i am using wired internet access through adsl modem on ethernet.

Has the networking service been introduced with the 1.5.4 release?

With the previous relesae like 1.5.0 i had to simply setup with rp-pppoe & once it showed connected in the terminal I could surf the net through firefox. No other configuration was needed.

i was able to connect to internet through network manager gui as you said.
but when trying cli methods
/etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop

The above command didnt work. error- network manager is running with xxxx pid.

one thing that puzzles me is that after connecting to internet the lan ip vanishes ie i cannot ping 192.168.1.2
the ifconfig command does not show any ip for eth0

however after disconnecting internet ifconfig shows eth0 ip
in winxp all ips are visible after ipconfig command even when connected to internet

cant understand this .

thanks

Return to “Networking (except PXE booting)”