version of fdisk can't create partition type F, W95 extended

Topics about disk partitioning (fdisk, parted, gparted, partimage), Volumes Management (lvm, evms, dmraid), Storage, file systems, ...
brashrat

version of fdisk can't create partition type F, W95 extended

Postby brashrat » 16 Jan 2016, 20:24

The version of fdisk that you include with SystemRescueCd is unable to create a partition type F.

By contrast, the version of fdisk that comes with Fedora 23 does allow one to be created, though it is a little inconvenient there too. Because I was able to work around my problem using Fedora 23, I am not obstructed by this, but I thought I'd mention it to you as something to improve.

I'm working with a Lenovo Thinkpad X220. I mention that because it's a pretty standard device from a Major Mfr (TM) rather than something obscure. It came from the factory with an extended partition (number 4), but instead of being the typical partition type 5 extended partition, it's a type F extended partition (something associated with W95? the factory OS is Win7). I have no idea what the difference is or whether it matters (is LBA the same as MB vs cylinder?), but I don't want to screw up something like "system recovery", so I'd simply like to stick with a type F and your fdisk won't allow me to create one. (there may be a way to do it with another tool you include, I didn't look because I prefer the clarity of fdisk over more advanced tools like gparted because fdisk deals only with the partition layer and does not look or write inside the partitions, and I rely on that when i dd raw disk sectors, or delete and recreate partitions in the same places.)

Here, I will describe how I worked around the problem with the Fedora version, because that will illuminate the issue more clearly:

With the Fedora fdisk, I first created an extended partition, and it gave me a type 5 just like SystemRescueCD. Then I tried to change the partition type to type F and it told me I already had an extended partition and it would not let me change. So I deleted it and recreated it as a default 83 linux partition. Now the type command will let me change to a type F, and fdisk now re-recognizes the partition as an extended type, and I'm off and running.

SystemRescueCD's fdisk does not allow this same trick. I mention it here because Fedora's fdisk gets the job done and SRCD's doesn't, but the real problem is in fdisk itself, it should allow a more direct way to specify type on an extended partition rather than forcing a workaround.

Your tool bails me out from time to time, so thanks for all the work, it's much appreciated!

nickalreadytaken

Re: version of fdisk can't create partition type F, W95 exte

Postby nickalreadytaken » 17 Jan 2016, 11:27

Which version of fdisk did you use on Fedora and on SystemRescueCd?

Please post the output of

Code: Select all

fdisk -v

brashrat

Postby brashrat » 22 Jan 2016, 01:13

cripes, i was compiling the info for you over the course of the afternoon, but i wasn't able to do it all at once and apparently my session here timed out so it lost my post when i tried to submit it. gone with my post was the info.

I will not be able to reconstruct it all but my 64 bit Fedora 23 as installed (but also updated) has
fdisk from util-linux 2.27.1
and that one allows the workaround method of changing a type 83 partition to a type 0F

The Fedora 23 64-bit live cd (MATE spin) also worked when I was using it. I'm not in a position to reboot that.

as I recall what I had ascertained from research, the "current"/latest/stable version of SystemRescueCD which I used has
fdisk from util-linux 2.26.2
and that did not work for me.

and today I had found coincidentally a live CD from 32 bit Fedora 21 and it has
fdisk from util-linux 2.25.2 and it behaved similarly to SystemRescueCD

I'm mentioning the bits because perhaps that plays a role. My SystemRescueCD can boot on a 32bit machine.

nickalreadytaken

Postby nickalreadytaken » 23 Jan 2016, 16:45

It may be, that this bug was fixed as part of a new release of util-linux.

You might want to install a new version manually or wait for a new version of SystemRescueCd.

http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/Sysresc ... emRescueCd

Yet the mentioned util-linux version was not marked stable in Gentoo linux, which SystemRescueCd is based on.

http://en.znurt.org/search.php?search=& ... ux&x=0&y=0

Return to “Hard-disk partitioning and storage”