Help creating a rescue partition.

Topics about disk partitioning (fdisk, parted, gparted, partimage), Volumes Management (lvm, evms, dmraid), Storage, file systems, ...
Neutrino

Help creating a rescue partition.

Postby Neutrino » 03 May 2015, 17:06

Hi.

I have a new Linux Mint 17.1 installaton on a MacBook Pro and I'd like to install SystemRescueCd to a separate bootable partition on the harddrive for the purposes of system backup and rescue. I've found a couple of pages on your website related to this but they leave me with some questions.

The more recent page is this 'easy installation method' approach
http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manu ... n_harddisk

The first approach outlined here describes how to install SystemRescueCd onto an existing partition. I do not think this is useful for my purposes. My intent is to have a separate Disk Utilities partition which I can boot into and use to reconfigure a non-booting OS partition. Installing SystemRescueCd on the partition that I may want to recover if it fails would be self-defeating as the SystemRescueCd utilities would then not be available were that partition to become unbootable.

A second approach described on this page is to boot the iso image from the disk using Grub2. This option also requires the iso to live on the Grub's root partition (which would be the OS partition), and it also seems to require manually hacking grub.cfg a file which explicitly tells you not to edit it and which inexperienced users would probably be wise to leave alone. It is also not clear whether this approach gives you a 'modifiable' linux system that can be persistently reconfigured or whether it's instead just the equivalent of booting the live CD off the harddrive.

There is also this 'old installation method' approach.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manu ... n_harddisk

This seems more in line with what I hope to achieve but I'm afraid I just don't understand the instructions.

It starts off by stating that you need to create a new empty ext2fs partition, which it then tells you to mount to /mnt/custom after which it tells you to execute...

sysresccd-custom extract-nosizecheck
rm -rf /mnt/custom/customcd/isoroot
mv /mnt/custom/customcd/files/* /mnt/custom
cp /etc/inittab /mnt/custom/etc/
rm -rf /mnt/custom/customcd

Well if /mnt/custom is a new empty ext2fs partition then what does the command 'rm -rf /mnt/custom/customcd/isoroot' do? That would appear to be trying to recursively delete everything from a non-existent location on an empty partition?

I clearly don't understand this and could use some guidance.

Finally it describes how to configure lilo to create a boot menu entry for the new partition, but most distros use grub2 these days. I've hunted for basic grub2 documentation but again I've struggled to understand much of what I've found. I've come across some info that seems to suggest that with grub2 all you need to do is run update-grub from it's root partition and it will automatically identify any bootable partitions and add then to its menu, is this correct?

Return to “Hard-disk partitioning and storage”