Recovering data from a Dell w. WinXP (No NTFS.SYS) [solved]

Topics about disk partitioning (fdisk, parted, gparted, partimage), Volumes Management (lvm, evms, dmraid), Storage, file systems, ...
NickiSavage

Recovering data from a Dell w. WinXP (No NTFS.SYS) [solved]

Postby NickiSavage » 24 Jan 2015, 22:35

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and to Linux, which may make this hard.

I was traveling between apartments, staying at a hotel. One night the power crashed, and my computer with it.

Like an idiot, I pulled out my flash drive and waited for the power to come back on. When it did, I turned on the computer.... And when I selected which version of XP to boot (refurbished laptop), it told me

"Windows could not boot because the following file is corrupt or missing: System32/system/NTFS.SYS"

I'm aware that my XP Service Pack 2 is pretty much gone now. But I have an XP Home, and I figured after I recover the 40GB of work-related stuff on there, I could leave the System Rescue still on there (or take it off, if it's needed), and run Ubuntu x32 alongside XP Home. I'll have to find the disc box or call Microsoft for a new key, but if I can just recover the data, I'll be 100% good. This computer was a real war machine that supported my vector art...and my new laptop actually crashes when I draw because of faulty heatsinks.

So...how do I recover the data? I have no ethernet cable, but my iPod has disk use enabled and I brought the appropriate USB.

gernot

Re: Recovering data from a 2GB RAM Dell with WinXP (No NTFS.

Postby gernot » 25 Jan 2015, 10:00

Ipod is a bad rescue device. Get a USB stick or a network cable.

You can repair your XP with "msdart 50."
MS serves a 30 Days trial version of this diagnostic and repair toolkit.
You need a working XP or Vista system to install it.

Gernot

NickiSavage

Postby NickiSavage » 26 Jan 2015, 21:41

I have the rescue CD burned, Gernot, but my XP isn't actually working. The NTFS file is gone.

The only place with internet I can actually use is the library, and they have a multi-cable server...like, all the cables connected in a line...and there's no way to use a network cable on my computer without disconnecting the computer I'm on right now from the internet. But after checking my bag, I do have two new 16GB USB sticks, and a couple of 8GB as well.

Is there a way to grab the msdart 50 without installing it on a disc? And does it matter if the NTFS.SYS file is gone?

gernot

Postby gernot » 26 Jan 2015, 21:52

The msdart50 30Day trial period is protected by the installer...MSdart have a systemfile repair option.

You can try to find a copy of System32/system/NTFS.SYS in a system restore directory and copy it in place.

Gernot

NickiSavage

Postby NickiSavage » 26 Jan 2015, 22:41

Found the MSDaRT installer, but the library computer isn't an x86 system. It won't install the package or even open it...so I guess I'm back to using the System Rescue CD. I have it burned onto a disc, Gernot, so how do I do that?

I literally have XP Home in disc form. I can take the slight downgrade, because the laptop's only a x32 system and can't install Windows 7. It can't go any higher...I really don't mind, and I'd rather just have the files off the computer as soon as possible.

Since my XP isn't recoverable by any present means, could you instruct me through the System Rescue, just to get the files off the hard drive? Or is there a link for my specific situation? Someone probably asked before.

(Sorry I'm a bit obtuse...I have a form of high functioning autism and sometimes it challenges me.)

NickiSavage

Postby NickiSavage » 27 Jan 2015, 21:42

Thank you, Gernot. I do appreciate it; I'll let you know how well the recovery goes. ^^

~ Nicki

NickiSavage

Postby NickiSavage » 28 Jan 2015, 04:52

I hit a slight snag. How do I mount my VFAT USB drives as backup? I have no internet, and going back to the library won't solve anything because I can't access their network to transfer files.

I'm on my phone right now...and there's no internet network I can use to transfer files. My VFAT (FAT32, according to the USB I tried to install SysResc on) drives are my only option.

How do you mount the FAT32 to use it as a backup? You mentioned in that thread you linked me to that it's a better type...and I dare not try to find my external disk drive because of how buggy it is.

gernot

Postby gernot » 28 Jan 2015, 05:24

Use this to mount a vfat backup device at /dev/sdb1

mkdir /mnt/backup
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup

NickiSavage

Postby NickiSavage » 30 Jan 2015, 17:33

Just leaping on the board to thank you, Gernot...I got my files. It worked wonderfully.

Return to “Hard-disk partitioning and storage”