hald and the CDROM drive

Topics about disk partitioning (fdisk, parted, gparted, partimage), Volumes Management (lvm, evms, dmraid), Storage, file systems, ...
rod1625

hald and the CDROM drive

Post by rod1625 » 17 Dec 2010, 18:14

I like to boot the CD with the docache option so that I can eject the CD. I've noticed that since 1.5.8 (possibly earlier; I tend to skip versions), after caching is complete, the Hardware Abstraction Layer Daemon seems to want to read the CD, preventing me from ejecting it. This is particularly annoying on older, slower CD drives. I had thought of creating a custom CD with /etc/init.d/hald made non-executable. What would be the implications of this? Would important things stop working? Is there a way to prevent hald from reading the CD and leave its other functions intact?

rod1625

Re: hald and the CDROM drive

Post by rod1625 » 23 Dec 2010, 02:02

After more RTFMing and experimenting, I've found the answer. After doing sysresccd-custom extract, go into the directory /mnt/custom/customcd/files/etc/hal/fdi/information, create a file called media-check-disable-cdrom.fdi, and edit it to contain the following:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="scsi.type" string="cdrom">
      <merge key="storage.media_check_enabled" type="bool">false</merge>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>
Now build the custom cd as usual.This will prevent hald from doing a media check on any cdrom drive.