Partimage malfunctioning since System Rescue CD 1.6.2?

Topics about disk partitioning (fdisk, parted, gparted, partimage), Volumes Management (lvm, evms, dmraid), Storage, file systems, ...
jlseber

Partimage malfunctioning since System Rescue CD 1.6.2?

Post by jlseber » 01 Nov 2010, 20:12

I have a question for Partimage users: have you had any problems with Partimage since at least System Rescue CD (SRC) 1.6.2? Every time I have tried to restore an XP partition with 1.6.2, it won't boot afterwards. If I restore the same image file to the same computer with SRC 1.5.8, no problems. It could also be something to do with GParted, and I am in the process of testing that now by restoring with 1.5.8 to a partition made with 1.6.2. I hope no one else is having the same problem, but if you are, please let me know. I've used SRC, Partimage and GParted for years, so I don't think I'm doing anything procedurally wrong. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel Seber

gedakc

Re: Partimage malfunctioning since System Rescue CD 1.6.2?

Post by gedakc » 04 Nov 2010, 01:59

GParted versions 0.5.2 and lower default to "align to cylinder". This can be important for booting some older operating systems.

Newer versions of GParted default to "align to MiB" which works with modern operating systems.

You might try creating the partitions by selecting "align to cylinder".

jlseber

Re: Partimage malfunctioning since System Rescue CD 1.6.2?

Post by jlseber » 17 Nov 2010, 20:04

gedakc hit it right on the money. The "align to cylinder" is exactly what I needed to do. I honestly don't even know why "align to MiB" is the default. In any case, images restore and boot properly when "align to cylinder" is chosen in GParted. Thanks so much!

-jls