reiser4 refuses to recover from an image file.

Topics about disk partitioning (fdisk, parted, gparted, partimage), Volumes Management (lvm, evms, dmraid), Storage, file systems, ...
TTorai

reiser4 refuses to recover from an image file.

Post by TTorai » 17 Apr 2010, 20:16

Hello,

some days ago i have tested if it will (still) work for me to use reiser4 for compressed Partition Backups. And all went well until i tried to recover the backup to the original HDD. ddrescue (dd_rescue and dd too) slowed down to zero bytes/second at around 650000kB while eating 100% CPU Power (single core), and so i was unable to recover the partition image.

I have used the following commands to backup:

Code: Select all

mkfs.reiser4 -o create=ccreg40,compress=lzo1,compressMode=force,cluster=8K /dev/sdb1
mount -o noatime,nodiratime /dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup
mkdir /mnt/backup/Location/
ddrescue /dev/sda1 /mnt/backup/Location/sysresccd-1.5.0_2010-04-14_ddrescue_sda1
And used the following commands to recover:

Code: Select all

mount -o noatime,nodiratime,ro /dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup
ddrescue /mnt/backup/sysresccd-1.5.0_2010-04-14_ddrescue_sda1 /dev/sda1
Copying the backup file from the reiser4 partition to a ext2 partition on another HDD, and recover it from there was successful! IIRC, that way (recovering from reiser4) and some months ago i was able to use the same commands with successful recovery.

Have i done anything wrong?

Now, with SysRescCD 1.52 and the alternate kernel with btrfs (-o compress-force) it works as expected.