are partimage batch default settings to split image?

Topics about disk partitioning (fdisk, parted, gparted, partimage), Volumes Management (lvm, evms, dmraid), Storage, file systems, ...
pete.dawgg

are partimage batch default settings to split image?

Post by pete.dawgg » 26 Mar 2010, 09:30

i've been using partimage for a long time and i always use it in batch-mode (-b) from the commandline, eg

Code: Select all

partimage -b -z1 -c -d save /dev/sda5 sda5-root-blabla
i always want ONE imagefile which i store on hd and/or tape.
for some time now partimage has been creating SPLIT imagefiles (2 or 4 gb) when i use exactly this commandline and i don't know how to switch that off (like -V0 which would not make much sense to me).
have i missed something or can anybody tell me how to use the "old" behavior?
(i use sysresccd 1.3.5)
THX in advance!

eomanis

Re: are partimage batch default settings to split image?

Post by eomanis » 16 Apr 2010, 17:24

By default, partimage does indeed split its images (at 2GiB I think). A longer time ago I managed to successfully set it to only create a single big file. So far, so good. However when I tried to restore from the single large backup file partimage always reported an error. Turns out a lot of people report that partimage fails to restore from any backup file larger than 2GiB! This seems to be due to some limitation in the Linux kernel or so I've heard, but this may be wrong.

I guess while testing the partimage developers ran into this issue as well and therefore set partimage to split images at 2GiB by default. I have found no workaround yet and I'd say you stick to what is the default setting in partimage, it at least works fine for me. Living with multiple files per image isn't as bad as it may initially seem :-)

eomanis

TTorai

Re: are partimage batch default settings to split image?

Post by TTorai » 17 Apr 2010, 20:54

EDIT: Sorry, have'nt recognized the age ofe the first post here.