Partimage reports not enough space on SD card.

Topics about disk partitioning (fdisk, parted, gparted, partimage), Volumes Management (lvm, evms, dmraid), Storage, file systems, ...
keithfre

Partimage reports not enough space on SD card.

Post by keithfre » 20 Mar 2010, 20:31

I've created a bootable SD card containing the SystemRescueCD, using Linux Live USB Creator under Windoze. It's a 16GB card, and Windoze reports over 15GB free. I'm trying to use partimage to backup the file system on my Acer Aspire One (under 4GB used) onto the card. The card boots and the software runs, but partimage claims to run out of space after writing 2GB. The card is formatted as FAT32.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Partimage reports not enough space on SD card.

Post by admin » 20 Mar 2010, 22:19

On FAT filesystem the file size limitation is 2GB in general, so you have to use another filesystem such as ntfs (with ntfs-3g)

keithfre

Post by keithfre » 21 Mar 2010, 00:13

But I'd told partimage to split the image into 2GB files (the default). After writing one file it told me the disk was full. Non comprendo!

gernot

Post by gernot » 08 Apr 2010, 18:58

try df

Maybe you used Fat16 .It had under Dos and Win98 a 2GB limit.

Gernot

eomanis

Post by eomanis » 05 May 2010, 12:11

Hang on a sec - if I understand keithfre correctly he is booting SystemRescueCd from an SD card and then trying to save a backup onto it.

For all that I know SystemRescueCd's boot medium is always being mounted read-only, so I suspect his backups end up in the RAM drive which of course runs ouf of space after a while.

You should boot SystemRescueCd from another device, e.g. CD-ROM or USB thumb drive, then mount your SD card and do your backups.
Or you may try the "docache" option ... I do not know its details, but it should leave the boot medium (the SD card) free to mount after booting.

eomanis