[noob time] How do I know if dd is successful?

Topics about disk partitioning (fdisk, parted, gparted, partimage), Volumes Management (lvm, evms, dmraid), Storage, file systems, ...
nidhoggstrike

[noob time] How do I know if dd is successful?

Post by nidhoggstrike » 02 Jan 2010, 21:14

First of all, sorry if I sound a little bit noobish.

I have a crashed Ubuntu 9.10 EXT4 hard drive that I tried to copy some days ago by doing the ]dd if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/sdbY thingy. To be precise, I wrote

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1
It proceeded to do nothing for the next 12 hours. Well, actually it did something, because the external hard drive is listed as EXT4 now, and I get the same error message as I get with the sda1 partition when I try to mount the external hard drive anywhere else than through sysresccd. What worries me is that I didn't get any message back in the terminal. Am I not supposed to get something that tells me when dd is finished? Even if I haven't gotten any message, can I assume that I have a full copy on the external hard drive?

Mogge

Re: [noob time] How do I know if dd is successful?

Post by Mogge » 02 Jan 2010, 23:44

Hi

§ When finished, you get back to the prompt and it then write how many post and bytes it transfereed, time and speed.

§ To speed it up, you can have it operate in chunks;

dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1 BS=1M
§ To learn more about commands like this in general the methods are to in terminal type:

dd --help
man dd
and/or google