How to re-claim hard disk space for Windows XP installation?

Topics about disk partitioning (fdisk, parted, gparted, partimage), Volumes Management (lvm, evms, dmraid), Storage, file systems, ...
nkao

How to re-claim hard disk space for Windows XP installation?

Post by nkao » 09 Dec 2009, 01:31

Hi,

I posted the same message in "Hardware and driver" a few days ago and I just realized that "Hard-disk partition and storage" sub-forum should be the right place to ask for solutions to my problem. So I moved my message to here and please help with specifice steps/procedures/tools that could resolve my problem. Thanks.

========================================================================================

I need help to reclaim the whole 160GB hard disk space to reinstall Windows XP onto my netbook.

I has an Acer AspireOne netbook with 160GB HD. It had Windows XP installed when I bought it and, two months later, I erased the Win XP entirely by installing Ubuntu 9.04 with the whole HD's 160GB.

Two weeks earlier, I erased Ubuntu from the hard drive and tried to install Window XP back. The works that I had done are listed in the following:
1. I booted up this netbook using SystemRescureCD and formated the hard drive (with gparted) to a primary bootable partition with 149.05GB space in FAT32 format. I also used Ubuntu 9.04 liveCD/USB disk to partition the hard drive in the same way as what I did using SystemrescureCD.

2. I booted up the netbook with a MS-DOS bootable disk (from Win 98), then I run fdisk command and there was no such primary partition that I created in step 1 and when I tried to create a primary partition to this disk, there was only 2.055GB shown as available disk space.

3. I tried to skip step 2 and directly installed Windows XP from the installation CD, but after loading the drivers, the blue screen shown and prompted me to check hard disk using CHKDSK command.

Please advise me how to reclaim the disk space for Windows XP installation.

By the way, I will tried to have Ubuntu installed after Windows XP.

Thanks.

nkao

Re: How to re-claim hard disk space for Windows XP installation?

Post by nkao » 16 Dec 2009, 18:33

Hi,
I tried to boot this netbook with freedos via a USB disk, then I ran spfdisk to create brand new partition for the 160G HD in the netbook with the following details:
1. active and bootable
2. size -- 149.05GB
3. System_ID -- 0c (zero-c)
4. File_system -- DOS FAT32(LBA)

I saved the new partition table, formatted this HD, rebuilt the MBR (in spfdisk), and then exited to DOS. Then I could copy files to the new HD from C: drive as the "D:" drive, where freedos USB flash disk was the "C:" drive. I typed "dir/w D:" and it shows me there are 152,587MB free.

After that, I rebooted my netbook with a Windows XP install CD, but then the famous blue screen came out (the installation process crashed!!) with information saying that there could be virus or inconsistency existed on my hard drive and asked me to run "CHKDSK /F" to verify the cause.

Please advise me how you would solve this issue and help me to bring back the HD space to install Windows XP again.

Thank you.

nkao

Re: How to re-claim hard disk space for Windows XP installation?

Post by nkao » 02 Jan 2010, 03:22

Hello,
After a few tries, I realized that the problem could be the XP installation disk that I used did not have SATA driver to support the new SATA hard disk drive.

So I changed to use the backup system disks that were created by Acer's backup program, to restore the Windows XP system.

First, I formatted the whole hard disk space (149.0?GB) to NTFS format using gparted in freedos.

Second, I made it primary and bootable.

Third, I made a blank MBR by spfdisk.

And the last, I used my previous backup system disks (created by running the backup program from Acer) to recover the Windows XP system.

Now, my issue had been resolved.

Anyway, thanks for your attention.