Having a hard time with recovering my files!

Topics about disk partitioning (fdisk, parted, gparted, partimage), Volumes Management (lvm, evms, dmraid), Storage, file systems, ...
vanhalen

Having a hard time with recovering my files!

Post by vanhalen » 08 Nov 2009, 01:20

Hello, I have been unable to boot Windows XP and a friend of mine referred SystemRescueCd to me. I burned the image to a CD and I was able to boot it up properly on my computer. However, I am VERY confused and lost as to how to use this. I've been reading several instructions from different sites and nothing is very clear to me. Everything I've tried hasn't worked. I just need some clear, step by ste procedures. Where do I start?

Right now I am using my brother's laptop which I plan to use to store some of my files. I am planning on using a flash drive I bought today to transfer the files. Basically, I just want to access My Documents and transfer some files. I don't need to save everything. I also borrowed a Windows XP disc so I can reinstall it on my computer.

I'm sorry if I did not provide enough information, but if I'm missing something, please let me know!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Having a hard time with recovering my files!

Post by admin » 08 Nov 2009, 08:54

I think the documentation you need are these ones:
Backup_data_from_an_unbootable_windows_computer
Mounting_an_NTFS_partition_with_full_Read-Write_support

You can run the following command to identify devices:

Code: Select all

fsarchiver probe detailed

andrewmason

Re: Having a hard time with recovering my files!

Post by andrewmason » 10 Nov 2009, 09:08

vanhalen wrote:Hello, I have been unable to boot Windows XP and a friend of mine referred SystemRescueCd to me. I burned the image to a CD and I was able to boot it up properly on my computer. However, I am VERY confused and lost as to how to use this. I've been reading several instructions from different sites and nothing is very clear to me. Everything I've tried hasn't worked. I just need some clear, step by ste procedures. Where do I start?

Right now I am using my brother's laptop which I plan to use to store some of my files. I am planning on using a flash drive I bought today to transfer the files. Basically, I just want to access My Documents and transfer some files. I don't need to save everything. I also borrowed a Windows XP disc so I can reinstall it on my computer.

I'm sorry if I did not provide enough information, but if I'm missing something, please let me know!
Just reinstall from normal computer and do not format. It will install another xp and all old documents will be there. after recovering you documents you can format your system to avoid double copies of windows xp. Christian rings