Unable to Restore MBR, HELP!!!

Topics about disk partitioning (fdisk, parted, gparted, partimage), Volumes Management (lvm, evms, dmraid), Storage, file systems, ...
VegasTech702

Unable to Restore MBR, HELP!!!

Post by VegasTech702 » 26 Oct 2009, 08:28

Hello,

I made an image of my winxp partition (ntfs) using partimage. I now need to restore my windows partition with the image file. I successfully got the partition restored, but I need my master boot record (mbr) back. I have my partition with the image mounted, and no the partition I am trying to restore is NOT mounted.

SO... I am trying to extract the mbr info from the compressed (gzip) file. I am using the following command with no success:

Code: Select all

gunzip -c /mnt/windows/winrestore/winxp.partimage.000.gz | partimage restmbr /dev/sda1 stdin
This command just takes me to the partimage splash screen. If I try to enter the image filepath and restore mbr, the next screen says I have an incorrect file compression level, then partimage exits back to the terminal.

When I do the command below it goes to a screen where I could select the mbr restore options then freezes the terminal.

Code: Select all

gunzip -c /mnt/windows/winrestore/winxp.partimage.000.gz | partimage restmbr stdin
I really hope someone can give me an idea of what to do. I imagine my command syntax is off somewhere.

VegasTech702

Re: Unable to Restore MBR, HELP!!!

Post by VegasTech702 » 29 Oct 2009, 05:34

Nobody has any ideas???

VegasTech702

Re: Unable to Restore MBR, HELP!!!

Post by VegasTech702 » 30 Oct 2009, 07:45

I figured out how to get the system to boot again, I booted off a windows xp install cd, restarted the computer and done.

In the future I can prevent all this by simply using the: dd if=/dev/hda of=backup-hda.mbr count=1 bs=512 and sfdisk -d /dev/hda > backup-hda.sf commands prior to wiping out the HD.