Partimage Feature Request

Topics about disk partitioning (fdisk, parted, gparted, partimage), Volumes Management (lvm, evms, dmraid), Storage, file systems, ...
Ruler

Partimage Feature Request

Post by Ruler » 18 Aug 2009, 16:30

I'd like to make a request for a low-priority feature in partimage.

It's happened to me several times where I go to restore a partition, but the file name is long or I get distracted, etc. I then have to exit out of partimage, ls the directory, then go back in. There are two ways to solve this that I can see:

Add a file picker similar to the partition picker instead of a simple input line. It would allow one to more rapidly select the file they want. Maybe even eliminate the input line and create a second screen between the first and second in which you either select a file to restore or are presented a read-only list with an input box to enter a filename to create, based on the operation mode (save/restore) selection made on the first screen.

Show a list of files in the present directory somewhere on the screen. Doesn't need to be fancy, just spits out the results of ls and leaves them there while the interface to partimage comes up.

The first solution would be more optimal IMO. The second would be very fast, though hack-ish and make the interface appear cobbled.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Partimage Feature Request

Post by admin » 27 Aug 2009, 21:46

Partimage is not developed anymore, I am working on fsarchiver instead

Ruler

Post by Ruler » 03 Sep 2009, 22:25

Shoot - that's not what I wanted to hear! :( I checked out the source code, hoping to add a file picker to the GUI myself, but remembered right away why I can't freakin stand coding in C++! ;) You might want to put a message to that affect on partimage.org home page; I thought it was still being worked on. Hope the fsarchiver works as well as partimage and matures quickly.

For those interested, there's a partimage-ng project started, basically rewriting partimage using standard libraries instead of recreating things. Have no idea how the development is proceeding though and will stick with regular partimage for now; hopefully I won't encounter more bugs like this one until a viable alternative arrives.

slakkie

Post by slakkie » 29 Sep 2009, 19:18

Would it be possible to include Clonezilla? It uses partimage under the hood, but has exactly what OP wants, simpler interface to select images for restore/backup.

I see someone already did this: http://clonezilla-sysresccd.hellug.gr/intro.html