Clone dual booting IDE drive to Larger SATA drive

Topics about disk partitioning (fdisk, parted, gparted, partimage), Volumes Management (lvm, evms, dmraid), Storage, file systems, ...
Namida12

Clone dual booting IDE drive to Larger SATA drive

Post by Namida12 » 14 Jul 2008, 18:31

I need to clone older IDE drive to new SATA drive with a dual booting O/S systems:

Windows XP & Mepis 7 64-bit Linux... Using grub (Will this need to be edited to find Windows and the Linux distro?)

Can I boot the system system using SystemRescue CD to clone the 80 gig IDE drive attached as a sdc1 to the Larger 320 gig SATA drive sda0... If I set bios to use Sata hard drive only, the slave position on the CD drive cable will still be available...

I do not want to image, I only want to clone the existing 80 gig to to the new SATA drive. Will I need to prepare the new SATA drive as a boot drive, with the partitions or is there a cloning function on the CD that does everything?

The 80 gig IDE drive is installed in a motherboard that provides support for both IDE and SATA - ECS ASterope3/RC410

I am not certain about windows, will I need to reactivate with the hard drive change, will that be a problem? Or, a phone call to reactivate after a booting with the SATA drive...

JR

pete.dawgg

Post by pete.dawgg » 25 Sep 2008, 15:05

you can format the disk(s) and copy the files by just booting the installed linux. create the filesystems (and directories), mount them somewhere, copy everything over, adjust /etc/fstab, done. if you change the root-device make sure to adjust the NEW /etc/fstab and the root= in grub.conf. reinstall grub if necessary.
BUT if you change the driver order or transfer windoze from ide to sata it will NEVER EVER boot anymore, you will have to reinstall it.
GOOD LUCK!

pete.dawgg

Post by pete.dawgg » 02 Jun 2009, 11:05

1. make sure the controller can be used to boot (from attached hard disk(s))
2. configure the controller (probably by pressing some key during POST) and its raid-options, boot etc.
3. find out what controller it ist and which linux-drivers you need for it (if it is supported)
4. boot sysresccd with appropriate options for your controller and disk
->done
if you want to use windoze i'm almost positive you have to re-install and re-activate and all this useless crap. most likely you have to use the f6-method when booting bills install-cd.

if you have problems installing linux you could get a small ide-disk or a cf-card connected to an IDE-adapter and have a very small partition to boot from and all the important stuff on your sata-disk.

in the end it will probably much easier and cheaper if you just get a new mobo and related stuff except if you have a lot of time and just want to configure this system. (but yout post was not very clear to me)
GOOD LUCK!

poost

Re: Clone dual booting IDE drive to Larger SATA drive

Post by poost » 08 Dec 2009, 00:20

Namida12 wrote:Can I boot the system system using SystemRescue CD to clone the 80 gig IDE drive attached as a sdc1 to the Larger 320 gig SATA drive sda0... If I set bios to use Sata hard drive only, the slave position on the CD drive cable will still be available...
Have you been able to get the BIOS to detect the sata hard drive? A SATA hard drive is an alternative to other internal, as well as external, interfaces.