Is partimage dependable for partition level backup/restore?

Topics about disk partitioning (fdisk, parted, gparted, partimage), Volumes Management (lvm, evms, dmraid), Storage, file systems, ...
ajax

Is partimage dependable for partition level backup/restore?

Post by ajax » 09 Mar 2019, 19:06

It's been a while now but there was a time when I found partimage to be a very useful tool. It looks like it has been stabilized for some time now. That could be either good or bad depending on the situation. Something I've used it for previously and have a new found interest in is backup and restore at the partition level for NTFS partitions.

If it still makes sense to use it for NTFS then I could use some help figuring out what's gone wrong with the graphic interface. Since I don't think partimage has changed it looks like this problem is caused by changes to SysRescCD. I might be able to solve by going back to an older version of SysRescCD, which might possibly mean very old, but would rather not. It seems that the graphic interface does not accept input needed to alter some settings. I was able to save a partition image to a set of files but cannot get it to do a restore. On the first screen I'm able to select the partition to operate on and specify the location for the image file/s. However, selecting "Action to be done" (i.e., restore instead of the default of save) doesn't accept any keystroke I've been able to figure out. It's possible that I've just forgotten some critical concept. If that's the case, "what needs to be done?". If the problem is more serious, "is there a solution?".