Attempting to mount root fs

Topics about disk partitioning (fdisk, parted, gparted, partimage), Volumes Management (lvm, evms, dmraid), Storage, file systems, ...
progzmaster

Attempting to mount root fs

Postby progzmaster » 06 Dec 2016, 07:51

Dear All,

I am trying to rescue a Debian linux system where the root fs is on LVM and the LVM itself is on MD RAID-10.
The rescue cd properly recognizes the raid arrays and probably the LVM too, but after then it says "Attempting to mount root fs" then complains that it does not find /sbin/init.
This repeats three or so times, then immediately after it drops me to a prompt, where I can mount the rootfs without any lvm or raid management, and this is why I assume that the raid and the LVM volues are properly recognized. I checked the mounted fs, and the /sbin/init does exists (however, it's a symlink to /lib/systemd/systemd).

I tried it with the default root=auto, and also with editing the boot prompt adding root=/dev/vgbgy/rootfs or root=/dev/mapper/vgbgy-rootfs,
but none of them work.

Why it doesn't find the file?

For an alternative solution, is there a way to manually execute /sbin/init from this prompt?

Thank you in advance!

progzmaster

Re: Attempting to mount root fs

Postby progzmaster » 07 Dec 2016, 07:50

progzmaster wrote:For an alternative solution, is there a way to manually execute /sbin/init from this prompt?

In the meantime I tried the following in initramfs shell:

Code: Select all

mount /dev/vgbgy/rootfs /newroot
exec switch_root /newroot /sbin/init

It executed without error, but the system hangs, cursor blinks without any output, seems no activity at all.
It is a soft hang, I can reset with Ctrl-Alt-Del.
I tried replacing /sbin/init with /lib/systemd/systemd, the result is the same.

Return to “Hard-disk partitioning and storage”