Can't paste files in drive mounted as rw (read and write)

Questions about problems with your hardware. For example, if you the kernel hangs during boot because of an hardware failure or if you have a problem with a driver not working or missing.
xoid97

Can't paste files in drive mounted as rw (read and write)

Postby xoid97 » 21 Oct 2016, 21:21

Hey guys,
This is really weird. So my windows had a problem during an update and I'm trying to save files from the corrupted hard drive to an external one I have.

I mounted my computer's HD as read-only (because I cannot access it normally, it's too broken). Then I mounted my external HD as read and write. I know I mounted it as read-write, because there is no lock symbols on the files, I can create NEW folders in it, and I also remounted it by specifying read and write (-o rw), even though it should mount this way by default.

Now, when I try to copy and paste files from my computer's HD (mounted on a folder in /media/) to my external HD, I get the error "The destination is read-only".

I tryed copying from my old HD to my desktop and THEN to my new HD, and I get the same error. I can provide video proof if needed, because I know it sounds crazy.
Thank you for your help!

Edit: As additionnal information, when I plug my external HD to a fonctionning Windows computer, I CAN paste stuff in it. The mystery thickens.

gernot

Re: Can't paste files in drive mounted as rw (read and write

Postby gernot » 22 Oct 2016, 07:40

If your external HD is NTFS formated use "ntfs-3g" instead "mount". It's slower but full rw is possible.

Think about using ddrescue to mirror the broken device.

Gernot

Return to “Hardware and drivers”