startx fails with AMD APU in current CD's

Questions about problems with your hardware. For example, if you the kernel hangs during boot because of an hardware failure or if you have a problem with a driver not working or missing.
fabok

startx fails with AMD APU in current CD's

Postby fabok » 13 Sep 2014, 15:43

I have a desktop with AMD A6-3650 APU with Radeon HD Graphics, and the monitor is a LG E2360. Live CD SystemRescueCd 3.6.0 works fine, but with 4.2.0 and 4.3.1 boot options I cannot find a combination that will let me startx AND see the monitor screen. I believe X is starting, but the monitor remains black. I found lots of problems reported on the web, but no solutions in current posts. Thanks for any help in advance.

gernot

Re: startx fails with AMD APU in current CD's

Postby gernot » 13 Sep 2014, 17:02

try to boot in framebuffer mode.

Gernot

fabok

Postby fabok » 14 Sep 2014, 16:16

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I had already tried that option, and quite a few others, too. I selected "framebuffer console", then entered "startx", and a screen full of messages appears, among them: [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported
Then editing the boot options to remove the parameter "nomodeset" resulted in the frequently seen behavior of the screen going black and the monitor into power save mode, while something's going on I can't see, but it responds to commands like shutdown.
I also tried the "wizard" options instead of startx, but no joy.

gernot

Postby gernot » 14 Sep 2014, 16:37

tried you VESA based environment?
It is very portable.

Gernot

Return to “Hardware and drivers”