HDD check/benchmark tool?

Questions about problems with your hardware. For example, if you the kernel hangs during boot because of an hardware failure or if you have a problem with a driver not working or missing.
swaan

HDD check/benchmark tool?

Postby swaan » 17 Mar 2013, 10:46

Hi,

I am running SysRescue CD 2.4.1 and I would like to benchmark my HDD as it is super slow. OS still boots but unusable. Testdisk also very slow with the HDD.
SMART tool shows PASSED although there are loads of raw read errors and seek errors.

So now I am thinking of doing a benchmark test to see how fast it reads and writes, seek rate too if possible.

Does SysRescue cd include such a tool, if not what tool to use and how to get it? I am not very experienced in a unix world.

Thanks for your time!

gernot

Re: HDD check/benchmark tool?

Postby gernot » 17 Mar 2013, 12:18

There are many usable tools on sysresccd but it is not exact what you search.

Use hdparm -t to test the IO speed.
If it is a IDE Harddisk boot the mhdd floppy image from sysresccd. It show the read time for each block group,
ddrescue save data from a bad drive and show the speed while copying.

From your description i think the harddisk is bad. To be sure test it in an other PC.

Gernot

swaan

Postby swaan » 17 Mar 2013, 21:07

Thanks for the tips Gernot!

hdparm -t or -tT is for read operations only. I believe you're right - the HDD is bad. Its a good thing SysRescue CD has a browser so I could get a new one from amazon :)

I will perform testing in another machine as soon as I get an interface adapter. Who knows, could also be the controller or psu.

Cheers!

gernot

Postby gernot » 18 Mar 2013, 05:29

badblocks is able to do some resd/write tests, but i think this tests have a positive result.
If the smart self test find no problem its a interface or a longtime problem.
I think mhdd is the best tool in your case.

Gernot

Return to “Hardware and drivers”