laptop display suspended? while long time moving partition

Questions about problems with your hardware. For example, if you the kernel hangs during boot because of an hardware failure or if you have a problem with a driver not working or missing.
blind

laptop display suspended? while long time moving partition

Postby blind » 03 Nov 2012, 18:47

hello,

Please help! I'm moving big partition on probook 6550b in gparted, but can't control process any more as display suddenly gone black and I don't know how to awake it back to finish partitioning. Also I have attached second monitor via DSub, but I can see only textual ttys and switching to tty7 suspends monitor as well (power light is on and blinking)
Can someone help me finish partitioning? thank you.

gernot

Re: laptop display suspended? while long time moving partiti

Postby gernot » 03 Nov 2012, 19:16

that is not good.If there are no harddisk activity moving can be stopped at a unknown point. In case of overlapping moving its very hard to restore the data..

Is the text console operable? Then you get a overview of running jobs with the "ps -fax" command.
"top" is also helpful.
Check for processes like X...,dd,parted,gparted and her status.

What you describe sound a bit like X and gparted crashed while a screen- or powersaver got active.
Also a "low memory" condition is thinkable.

Gernot

blind

Postby blind » 03 Nov 2012, 19:34

Now it's seems gparted has finished move as htop shows it idle and HDD is idle (before gpartedbin was using about 13% of CPU for a long time). I'm still affraid to restart before seeing what gparted displayed... :(

Anyway, can anybody shed the light on what has happened - why sysresccd went to suspend display while moving partition? Can I provide some reports/logs to investigate this problem?

gernot

Postby gernot » 03 Nov 2012, 20:01

the dmesg command show kernel messages.
sysrcd also log to /var/log/messages.
fdisk -l show the actual partitiontable.

Gernot

blind

Postby blind » 03 Nov 2012, 20:59

thank you,

I managed to save gparted_details.htm blindly and have made sure gparted finished move successfuly, so I'm very happy :)
Besides I could not find any messages in the logs that would appear related to the problem.
Anyway now I'm worried to try sysrescd again for gparted on the laptop :) maybe knoppix?

gernot

Postby gernot » 04 Nov 2012, 08:31

If i have such a problematic notbook i remove all powersave timeouts in tghe BIOS settings. I have often problems with such BIOS integrated actions.
Then I use
xset s 0
to disable the screensaver
and
xset -dpms
to disable powersaving.

Gernot

blind

Postby blind » 04 Nov 2012, 11:46

thank you for your concern,

Sadly that notebook is not my own, it's returned to my friend so now I cannot check BIOS settings and play with commands you gave, but anyway thank you for the info.

I will check again on occasion main question to narrow possible causes of issue: Why display just was not awoken from sleep (or whatever was cause of black screen) in the graphical X session? whether it's BIOS/notebook problem or linux power management software used in sysresccd.

Return to “Hardware and drivers”