Hyper-V support needed

Questions about problems with your hardware. For example, if you the kernel hangs during boot because of an hardware failure or if you have a problem with a driver not working or missing.
svp

Hyper-V support needed

Postby svp » 04 Jul 2012, 21:44

Good day everybody,
I had been using sysresccd for all possible system things, but recently I found out one area where I cannot use it: Hyper-V virtual machine. Of course, I can use non-synthetic legacy network adapter, but there's no easy way to connect and manage SCSI disks. So modules hv_* are needed in all kernels.
Last edited by svp on 27 Jul 2012, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Hyper-V support needed

Postby admin » 06 Jul 2012, 18:01

This will be compiled as external kernel modules in sysresccd-2.8.1-beta008 for both standard and alternative kernels.
Can you please test these (with both rescue64 and altker64 if possible) and post feed-back ?

Equivalent bug report for Fedora: (sysresccd is based on Fedora configs)
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=831605

svp

Re: Hyper-V support needed

Postby svp » 27 Jul 2012, 21:44

Many many thanks! It worked out quite well: under Hyper-V synthetic SCSI and network devices are working well.
The only problem I see so far is the doubled appearance of the IDE devices. Say, I have one IDE and one SCSI disk. Then fdisk -l gives me list of /dev/sd{a,b,c} disks where sda and sdb are identical. Similar problem I saw with Ubuntu 10.04 where kernel 2.6.32 with backported Hyper-V part of the 2.6.33 shows in this case hda, sda, and sdb devices where hda and sda are identical.
Despite this error, I can use Sysrescuecd 2.8.1 under Hyper-V, that is the main thing.
Thank you very much!
I will check all kernels in the next few days. For now I have used only standard 32-bit one.

Return to “Hardware and drivers”