How to launch tools

Questions about problems with your hardware. For example, if you the kernel hangs during boot because of an hardware failure or if you have a problem with a driver not working or missing.
OliveT1

How to launch tools

Postby OliveT1 » 01 Aug 2009, 18:41

Hello,

Sorry for my very basic question, but I didn't find my answer : haow to launch tools from System Recue CD ?
I manage to launch tools in the graphic interface, but I don't have access to all.
In particular, I would like to launch ntfsprogs, but how ?

Many thanks.
Olivier

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 01 Aug 2009, 20:33

The ntfsprogs programs are not graphical so you have to use it from a command line. Here is what you may need:
1) list your partitions
fsarchiver probe detailed
2) format a partition (dangerous)
mkntfs --help
3) mount a partition to read/write files:
ntfs-3g --help
4) resize an ntfs partition
ntfsresize --help
you can also use gparted

You can have more details about these command with "man <command>" (press q to quit)

OliveT1

Postby OliveT1 » 02 Aug 2009, 07:25

Thanks for your answers.
I have tried the command line, but didn't manage to launch ntfsprogs : it says that this command is not reconized.

OK for the others commands :
- fsarchiver to list the existing partitions
- ntfsresize to resize a ntfs partition

As I don't need ntfs access to read/write files, I don't need to mount it.
But how to create new ntfs partitions ?

And how to launch ntfsprogs ?
Because I get problems with a wrong physical description of my HDD that makes the partitions not shown under Gparted (I have post a detailed question on GParted forum)

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 02 Aug 2009, 07:47

There is no program called ntfsprogs, it's a package that contains many ntfs related utils such as mkntfs or ntfsresize.

To create an ntfx partition, you can use GParted which is a graphical program (the icon is in the menu), or you can do it by hand:
1) create an empty partition using a tools such as parted
2) make the filesystem on that partition using mkntfs

OliveT1

Postby OliveT1 » 02 Aug 2009, 10:31

OK, thanks, I see my misunderstanding about ntfsprogs.

But GParted is not working : DiskLabelType unrecognized and only an allocated space of the whole disk capacity.
Or in fact, 3 partitions already exist (Vista, Recovery, and a small Fat16).

I thought I could use ntfsprogs or one of its utils to repair the DiskLabelType and the descriptions disk errors.

PS : you seem to be a french admin. Living in France, it would be easier for me to explain in french, it's possible ?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 04 Aug 2009, 14:24

The disk label is the most critical part of the hard disk. It sounds it does not understand its format. On which device have you used GParted ?

What is returned by "fsarchiver probe detailed" ? It should list the partitions of your disk

OliveT1

Postby OliveT1 » 04 Aug 2009, 18:13

Hello,

I have only 1 hard drive in my computer, and I used GParted on this device.
I don't have tested fsarchiver.

As I get upset, I make an image of the EISA and Recovery partitions, and format the whole disk with Gparted, setting DiskLabel to MSDOS.

Everything is OK now, I have re-installed XP on my partition.

At the begining, I would like to keep Vista that is installed when buying the computer, and adding XP in dual boot.

I don't understand all these problems, I have choosen a radical solution, that make me re-install XP and Vista ...

Return to “Hardware and drivers”